COUNCIL MINUTES - FEBRUARY 22, 2016
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL
of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta
this 22nd day of February, 2016.
held in the Wembley Municipal Office
- CALL-TO-ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 6:59 p.m.
CAO Lori Parker
Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
- APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2016-0041
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the agenda be adopted as presented.
- ADOPTION OF MINUTES
MOTION # 2016-0042
Moved by Councillor Anaka that the minutes of the regular meeting held on February 8, 2016 be adopted as presented.
4.1 Wembley and District Agricultural Society
- Representatives from the Wembley & District Agricultural Society thanked Council for the opportunity to meet with them and provide an update on the current status of the Society.
- Tanya Lamouroux, President of WDAS reported that things are going well, the new Building Manager is settling in and there is a lot of new programming, ideas and progress happening.
- The Fitness Center memberships are increasing consistently and many new pieces of equipment have been purchased including a leg press and spin bike.
- Tanya Lamouroux noted that one of the main goals is the utilization of the arena side on a year round basis and they are working on ideas for things such as ball hockey, roller skating, farmers markets and trade shows.
- Tanya also noted that the two businesses that operate inside the building, Lil Miss Unique Tea House and Kneaded or Knot Massage Therapy are both doing very well.
- After briefly reviewing the yearly financial statement Tanya noted that the financial state of the Wembley & District Agricultural Society is improving yearly however at this time the Society still relies on and is deeply grateful for the continued support from the Town of Wembley.
- Delegation thanked Council for their time and noted they look forward to working closely with the Town of Wembley on future community events.
5.1 Accounts Payable
MOTION # 2016-0043
Moved by Councillor Holler that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20160125 to cheque # 20160161 totaling $69,900.98 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Vacation scheduled.
7.2 Well # 5 Pump
- CAO Parker noted that the pump on Well # 5 burned out. Saville Drilling installed a new pump and cleaned the casing in the well, noting that the screen was plugged.
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 Intermunicipal Meeting topics for discussion.
- CAO Parker requested ideas for discussion topics:
- Water Update
- RCMP (County)
- Royalty Review
- Guest Speaker ( MLA)
8.2 Silver and Gold Pioneer Club – Financials
- Review of the Financial Statement submitted by the Silver and Gold Club and accepted as information.
MOTION # 2016-0044
Moved by Councillor Robichaud that the following reports be accepted as information:
9.1 Minutes of the Wembley Fire Department meeting held on December 3, 2015.
9.2 Minutes of the Wembley Fire Department meeting held on January 7, 2016.
9.3 Minutes of the FCSS Advisory Board meeting held on February 16, 2016 and 2016 Budget.
9.4 Minutes of the Parks and Recreation Committee meeting held on February 16, 2016.
MOTION # 2016-0045
Moved by Councillor Moncrief that permission be given to the Parks and Recreation Department to use the Town Logo on promotional items.
9.5 Parks and Recreation Committee 2015 Revenue & Expenses and 2016 Budget.
10.1 Continuing Education GPRC – Museum Career Experience Program
MOTION # 2016-0046
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff to accept GPRC – Museum Career Experience Program package as information.
- NEW BUSINESS
11.1 Council Code of Conduct – Pro Active Measures
MOTION # 2016-0047
Moved by Councillor Johnson to adopt Council Code of Conduct as Policy # 154.
11.2 Town Website (Councillor Robichaud)
- Discussion was held regarding the Town Website.
- Councillor Robichaud noted that she had been approached by people commenting that the Website is not mobile user friendly.
- CAO Parker noted that the Website was last upgraded in 2014 at the cost of five thousand dollars.
MOTION # 2016-0048
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff to have administration obtain quotes on having the Website upgraded.
11.3 MSI Capital Grant Application – Water meters and installation.
- CAO Parker has submitted the application to purchase two hundred ninety three water meters with MSI Capital funds
MOTION # 2016-0049
Moved by Councillor Holler to allocate MSI Capital funds for the installation and purchase of water meters.
5 - IN FAVOR
1 – OPPOSED
11.4 Water Meter Installation Project
- It was the intention of the CAO to ask for a decision from Council to choose the installer for the water meter project, however decision is being postponed as another source has requested to submit a proposal.
- COUNCIL REPORTS
- Councillor Holler reported on SPPARC meeting noting that the committee will not be requesting as much funding from Municipalities as they have a full complement of Doctors right now and the web site is up and running.
- Mayor Turnmire noted that Bob Marshall brought it to his attention that Wembley has not had Council representation at the Water North meetings since October 2015 as well as no one at the last two Wapiti Area Synergy Group meetings. Councillor Anaka stated that his I Pad has not been working and has not had access to his emails therefore he was unaware of meeting dates.
- ROUND TABLE
- Attended the Growing the North Conference, noted that they had really good speakers this year.
- Attended the fundraiser for Denise Hudak and the event was well attended.
- Family day was a great success. Extended a thank you to the Public Works employees for the new fire pit and grill.
- Family day was really good, Councilors cooked a lot of hot dogs.
- Attended the Growing the North Conference, really enjoyed the session and information on marketing and branding.
- Fire Department Association dart nights are going very well.
- Advised that Public Works employee Ron Emslie will be taking the Level 2 water course throughout March and April.
- Advised that Public Works Foreman Aaron Halwa and Water Operator Owen Farnell will be attending the Alberta Water and Wastewater Operators Conference in Banff in March.
- Administration is working to schedule a GED course for three of the Public Works employees.
- Noted that she will be attending the Reynolds Mirth Law Seminar on Friday February 26, 2016.
- Noted that Public Works has started moving the dirt pile from the Museum and dumping it north of the Public Works yard access road to build a berm. The County of Grande Prairie No. 1 has offered to send out a cat to move the dirt and shape the berm.
- Advised that he met with the new RCMP Superintendent John Fergusson.
- Attended the Growing the North Conference, many good speakers and sessions.
MOTION # 2015-0050
Moved by Councillor Jones that the meeting be adjourned at 8:49 p.m.CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY