COUNCIL MINUTES - MARCH 29, 2016
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL
of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta
held in the Wembley Municipal Office
this 29th day of March, 2016.
1. CALL-TO-ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m.
CAO Lori Parker
Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2016-0062
Moved by Councillor Jones that the agenda be adopted as presented.
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
MOTION # 2016-0063
Moved by Councillor Anaka that the minutes of the regular meeting held on March 14, 2016 be adopted as presented.
• Don Rowan and Mike Christensen joined Council to provide a Development Update for the Town of Wembley.
• Encana remains committed to the community throughout the economic challenges by remaining involved with many local programs and groups including the breakfast program at both Wembley Elementary and Helen E Taylor Schools as well as the Class Room Champions Program, the local annual food drive and they remain a strong supporter of the Wembley Fire Department.
5.1 Accounts Payable
MOTION # 2016-0064
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20160250 to cheque # 20160300 totaling $92,305.29 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7. CAO REPORT
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 Letter received from Wembley Seniors in Action Committee
• Discussion was held regarding the request from the seniors to purchase the Wembley Greenhouse property and allocate the property to the development of a seniors housing complex.
MOTION # 2016-0065
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Town of Wembley is not in the financial position to purchase any property for seniors housing at this time. Council recognizes the future need for senior housing and supports the continued pursuit of the project. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
8.2 Town Website Quote
• Discussion was held regarding a quote for a new web site from All Net Municipal Solutions. Council accepts as information and requests administration to continue obtaining more quotes.
8.3 Water Treatment Plant Open House
• CAO Parker requested various options for dates to have the open house. Council provided three separate days. CAO Parker will confirm with Newterra their availability and will advise council when a date is confirmed.
MOTION # 2016-0066
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the following reports be accepted as information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.1 Minutes of the Parks and Recreation Committee meeting held on March 15, 2016.
• Discussion was held regarding the need for an environmental assessment to be done on the football field. The lights have been ordered, paid for and shipped however they cannot be installed until the assessment is complete.
MOTION # 2016-0067
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that a budget to a maximum of $7,000.00 be approved to have the environmental assessment done on the football field as soon as possible. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
• Discussion was held regarding Parks and Recreations request for approval of funding for engineered drawings for the proposed field house. Council recognizes the urgency of this request, due to the timeline on certain grants and the requirements for these drawings. Council request that Parks and Recreation Director Christina Ketchum obtain a quote for cost of these drawings as soon as possible and forward the information to administration.
9.2 Minutes of the Community Futures Board of Directors meeting held on February 11, 2016.
9.3 Minutes of the Grande Spirit Foundation Board of Directors meeting held on November 27, 2015 and 2015 Annual Report.
9.4 Minutes of the FCSS Advisory Board meeting held on March 23, 2016.
10.1 AUMA – Local Advocacy on Grants in Lieu of Taxes
MOTION # 2016-0068
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Town of Wembley submit a letter to the Minister of Senior’s and Housing in support of reinstating the Grant in Lieu of Taxes. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
10.2 APWA – National Public Works Week, May 15 – 21, 2016.
MOTION # 2016-0069
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that Mayor Turnmire be authorized to proclaim the week of May 15 – 21, 2016, National Public Works Week.
10.3 Linear Tax Info
• Accepted as information.
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 Traffic Safety Collation
MOTION # 2016-0070
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that Mayor Turnmire be appointed as a representative of the Town of Wembley to the Traffic Safety Collation.
11.2 GPREP – Wembley Table Top Exercise – April 21, 2016
• CAO Parker recommended that it would be very beneficial for all council to attend this exercise to have a good understanding of their role and expectations in a large scale emergency or disaster. All council confirmed that they would attend.
11.3 Quad Safety – June 4, 2016
MOTION # 2016-0071
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the Town of Wembley grant permission to the Wembley and District Agricultural Society for use of ATV’s inside town limits on June 4, 2016, only, to host a Quad Safety Course.
11.4 2015 Community Award
• Review of nominations for the 2015 Community Award.
Moved by Councillor Anaka that the 2015 Community Award be presented to Tyler Hoff. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.5 Video Surveillance Policy No. 155
MOTION # 2016-0073
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Council approve Town Policy # 155 – Video Surveillance in Public Areas. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
13. ROUND TABLE
• Noted that there is too much side talk going on during council meetings and it needs to stop.
• Advised that the Lights and Sirens Food Drive will be on Monday April 4, 2016.
• Reminder to all Council that the Intermunicipal Meeting is on April 5, 2016, 6:00 p. m. at the Community Hall.
• Reminder of the upcoming Regional Tourism AGM. Councillor Jones confirmed that she will be attending.
• Advised that he met the Premier Rachel Notley at the Philip J Currie Museum on her visit March 24, 2016.
• Attended the crime prevention seminar at the Silver and Gold Center.
• Rural Crime Watch AGM – April 5, 2016.
MOTION # 2016-0074
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the meeting be adjourned at 8:50 p.m.