COUNCIL MINUTES - APRIL 25, 2016
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL
of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta
this 25th day of April, 2016.
1. CALL-TO-ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m.
CAO Lori Parker
Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2016-0088
Moved by Councillor Anaka that the agenda be adopted with the additions of:
9.3 – Minutes of the Parks and Recreation Committee meeting held April 19, 2016.
10.2 – Appointment of Assessor.
10.3 – Northern Gateway Informational, April 19, 2016 at 12:30 p.m.
11.3 – Time Extension Request – Sub 2014-03, 2014-04 and 2014-05.
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
MOTION # 2016-0089
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the minutes of the regular meeting held on April 11, 2016 be adopted as presented.
4.1 Canadian Association Petroleum Producers
- Chris Montgomery provided Council with an update of the Associations activity over the past year.
- Mr. Montgomery noted that the Association has been working on the MGA Review with organizations such as AUMA, AAMDC, discussing topics such as Municipal and Linear taxes as well as Royalty Reviews.
- The Association is seeing the largest decline in Capital spending in years as well as a significant decrease in the production of new wells.
- Mr. Montgomery thanked Council for the opportunity to update them and excused himself at 7:30 p.m.
4.2 RCMP – Sgt. Dave Gallant
- Sgt. Gallant thanked Council for the opportunity to introduce himself, noting that he recently started with the Beaverlodge detachment at the end of March. Previous to Beaverlodge he was with the Grande Prairie detachment for four years.
- Discussion was held regarding speeding in Town limits. Council noted a few areas in Town where they would like to see the RCMP focus on.
- Council also discussed issues that have arisen at the skateboard park with regards to bullying and drug use. Sgt. Gallant recommends trying a positive police presence approach with the kids at the park and will be assigning one of his members and a recruit to have an interactive presence with the kids and try to encourage mentorship and leadership.
- Sgt. Gallant excused himself at 7:55 p.m.
MOTION # 2016-0090
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that Council take a five minute recess.
MOTION # 2016-0091
Moved by Councillor Anaka that Council reconvene the regular meeting.
5.1 Accounts Payable
MOTION # 2016-0092
Moved by Councillor Jones that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20160355 to cheque # 20160404 totaling $117,150.44 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
5.2 2016 Budget
- CAO Parker presented Council with three scenarios for budget options. Council discussed and reviewed options, revisions will be reworked by CAO Parker and final budget will be presented to Council at next meeting for final approval.
7. CAO REPORT
8. OLD BUSINESS
MOTION # 2016-0093
Moved by Councillor Holler that the following reports be accepted as information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.1 Minutes of the Wembley Fire Department meeting held on March 3, 2016.
9.2 Minutes of the Grande Spirit Foundation Management Committee meeting held on February 26, 2016.
9.3 Minutes of the Parks and Recreation meeting held on April 19, 2016.
- Discussion was held regarding issues arising at the skate park with regards to bullying and drug use. Information and discussion will be forwarded to RCMP.
10.1 Beaverlodge Victim Services and RCMP Fun Golf Tournament – June 10, 2016,
Pipestone Golf Course.
- Council accepted as information.
10.2 Appointment of Assessor
MOTION # 2016-0094
Moved by Councillor Anaka that the Town of Wembley appoint Jessica Donovan with the County of Grande Prairie No.1 as the Town of Wembley’s appointed assessor.
10.3 Northern Gateway Informational – April 27, 2016 at 12:30 p.m.
- No Council is available to attend this update. CAO Parker will send regrets.
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 Town Speed Limit ( Councillor Moncrieff)
- Discussion was held regarding the possible need for lowering the speed limit within Town limits. CAO Parker will investigate the required steps and process to making such a change and advise Council at the next meeting.
11.2 2015 Audited Financial Statements
- CAO Parker advised that the Audit Committee met with Fletcher Mudryk to review the financial statements.
MOTION # 2016-0095
Moved by Councillor Robichaud that Council accept the 2015 Consolidated Financial Statement as presented by Fletcher Mudryk.
MOTION # 2016-0096
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Council accept the deficit in the amount of $59,982.31 and allocate funds from the reserve to offset the deficit.
11.3 Time Extension for Subdivision Applications 2014-03, 2014-04 and 2014-05.
- A request for a one year time extension from the developer of these subdivisions was received. CAO Parker recommends granting the request.
MOTION # 2016-0097
Moved by Councillor Anaka that Council grant the request for a one year time extension on Subdivision applications 2014-03, 2014-04 and 2014-05.
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
13. ROUND TABLE
- Advised that he has extra time and is able to commit more time to committees and could be an alternate to any committee.
- Councillor Anaka would like to be the Council representative for both Helen E Taylor School as well as Wembley Elementary School.
MOTION # 2016-0098
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Councillor Anaka be appointed to both Helen E. Taylor and Wembley Elementary Parent Council Advisory boards as well as an alternate to any committee. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
- Advised that she met with the County of Grande Prairie No. 1 on April 13, 2016 regarding the concerns with the boundary road and the Town will be gravelling the road.
- The agreement with Aquaterra for the installation of residential water meters has been signed and Aquaterra will be starting by putting out door knockers and doing a mail out.
- Attended a workshop for Local Authorities Pension Plan on April 14, 2016.
- Attended the Leaders of Tomorrow luncheon on April 15, 2016.
- Completed the Assessment Review Board training course on April 21 and 22, 2016.
- April 12, 2016 attended the Volunteer Appreciation Dinner – event was well attended.
- April 13, 2016 met with the County of Grande Prairie No.1 regarding boundary road.
- April 13, 2016 met with Aquaterra regarding the residential meter installation project and signed contract.
- April 15, 2016 attended the Leaders of Tomorrow luncheon.
- Completed and passed the exam for the Assessment Review Board Member training on April 19 and 20, 2016.
MOTION # 2016-0099
Moved by Councillor Jones that the meeting be adjourned at 9:51 p.m.