May 12, 2016

Fort McMurray Recovery

The Grande Prairie Regional Emergency Partnership (GPREP) continues to support evacuees and the communities affected by the Fort McMurray wildfire. For more information, view the FAQs.


Where can I register as an evacuee?

GREP confirms that about 50 people have evacuated to our area. All evacuees should register with the Red Cross – no matter where you are currently. This will confirm for officials that no one remains in the evacuated communities. It will also allow Red Cross to reach you as more information becomes available and ensure you have access to the services you need.

Register online at or call 1-888-350-6070.

If you've already registered with an evacuation centre or the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, you do not need to register again. Family members and evacuees trying to reunite can also contact the Red Cross. Due to high call volumes, you may not be able to reach someone right away.

I’ve lost my driver’s licence or other provincial ID cards during the evacuation. What can I do?

If you lost your personal documents, such as driver’s licenses or other provincial ID cards, new cards are being re-issued free of charge. Locally you can visit one of the following locations:

A1 Licence
Richmond Centre, 106 8716-108 St
Phone: 780-539-5009

The Licence Centre
9917–116 Avenue
Phone: 780-532-4033

For a complete list of registry locations throughout Alberta, visit the Service Alberta website at

How can I find out about patients evacuated from the Northern Lights Regional Health Centre in Fort McMurray?

Information about patients evacuated from the Northern Lights Regional Health Centre will be available through Health Link Alberta as soon as possible. Call 811 for more information.

I was scheduled for treatment at the Fort McMurray Cancer Centre, what do I do?

Cancer patients are asked to call the Alberta Cancer Line at 1-888-432-8865 to inquire about your cancer treatment scheduled at the Fort McMurray Cancer Centre.

My pet was left behind, what can I do?

The Alberta Agriculture and Forestry Ministry is working closely with the RCMP and SPCA in Fort McMurray to address reports from evacuees asking for help with dogs, cats and other pets left behind during the emergency evacuation. The SPCA is requesting that those with pets left behind register them online at

I have evacuated to the City or County of Grande Prairie; what services are available for me?

There is no evacuation centre in Grande Prairie.

There are several local and provincial services available to evacuees of the Fort McMurray fires.

Recreation and Leisure:

The Eastlink Centre is offering free passes to evacuees, with valid Fort McMurray ID, for the month of May.

10 Knowledge Way, Grande Prairie

The Crosslink County Sportsplex and Motion Fitness will be offering drop in recreation services to evacuees until June 10. No memberships will be issued, evacuees will be asked to present ID at the front desk and will be asked to sign in a confidential ledger. Recreation opportunities include a walking track, indoor field house, indoor batting cage, outdoor playground and playing fields, public skating and yoga classes.


7407 108 Street, Clairmont

Health Services:

Alberta Health Services (AHS)

Mental Health Walk-in Clinic Crisis Line

600, 10014 - 99 Street, Grande Prairie

Health Link Alberta: Call toll-free at 811

For more AHS information view their Support for Albertans Affected by Wildfire brochure

Other Local Community Resources:

Alberta Human Services Employment and Income Support
Provides financial assistance for low-income families, career services, resume updates, and help connection to community resources.

100 Towne Centre Mall, Grande Prairie

Apply online at Alberta Supports

Canadian Red Cross

109, 10014-102 Street, Grande Prairie

Food Bank/Salvation Army

9615-102 Street, Grande Prairie

Govt. of Canada Employment Centre

11601-101st Avenue, Suite 101, Grande Prairie

Grande Prairie Centre for Newcomers

201, 10014-99 Street, Grande Prairie

Local School Districts:

Grande Prairie Catholic School District
9902-101 Street, Grande Prairie

Grande Prairie Public School District

10213-99 Street, Grande Prairie

Peace Wapiti Public School Division

8611A-108 Street, Grande Prairie

École Nouvelle Frontière

11201 Pinnacle Boulevard, Grande Prairie

How can I help?

Evacuees or Albertans looking to help with the recovery efforts can donate or volunteer. For

more information visit our How you can help page.

How can I stay informed?

  • Alberta Emergency Updates can be found at or by calling 310-4455.
  • Alberta Emergency Alerts at or follow them on Twitter @AB_EmergAlert.
  • Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo website at
  • On Twitter, the hashtags tied to the Fort McMurray fires are #ymmhelp, #ymmfire, #ymm and #abfire. Key Twitter accounts to follow are:
    • @RMWoodBuffalo: The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo is sharing wildfire updates and other information for evacuees.
    • @RedCrossAB and @redcrosscanada are posting updates on evacuation numbers, help being deployed and how Canadians can help.
    • @AB_EmergAlert: The official account for Alberta Emergency Alerts.