COUNCIL MINUTES - MAY 24, 2016
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL
of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta
held in the Wembley Municipal Office
this 24th day of May, 2016.
1. CALL-TO-ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
- Councillor Holler
- Councillor Jones
- Councillor Moncrieff
- Councillor Anaka
- Councillor Johnson
- Councillor Robichaud
- CAO Lori Parker
- Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2016-0122
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the agenda be adopted with following additions:
- 9.4 - Minutes of the Parks and Recreation Committee meeting held on May 17, 2016.
- 10.3 – Administrative Clerk – RCMP
- 10.4 – Appointment of Weed Inspector
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
MOTION # 2016-0123
Moved by Councillor Holler that the minutes of the regular meeting held on May 9, 2016 be adopted as presented.
5.1 Accounts Payable
MOTION # 2016-0124
Moved by Councillor Robichaud that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20160470 to cheque # 20160492 totaling $59,466.40 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 GPREP, EOC – Alberta Wild Fires
- CAO Parker advised that she was Director of Emergency Management for the GPREP EOC from May 13 – 19, 2016. Each morning she attended the EOC and was part of the conference call with the M9.
- CAO Parker will be Director of Emergency Management again from May 24 – 29, 2016 on an on call basis. She will not be required to travel to the EOC daily.
- CAO Parker advised that the fire in the Greenview District is under control, however the Fort McMurry fire remains out of control. One person from GPREP is on site in Fort McMurray.
8. OLD BUSINESS
MOTION # 2016-0125
Moved by Councillor Anaka that the following reports be accepted as information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.1 Minutes of the Community Futures Board of Directors meeting held on March 10, 2016.
• Brief discussion was held regarding the borrowing procedures for businesses from Community Futures.
9.2 Minutes of the Peace Library System meeting held on May 14, 2016.
9.3 Minutes of the FCSS Advisory Board meeting held on May 18, 2016 and the Director report for May 2016.
9.4 Minutes of the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board meeting held on May 17, 2016.
10.1 Alberta Seniors and Housing – Grants in Place of Taxes.
• A letter was received in response to correspondence sent by CAO Parker to the Minister’s Office of Alberta Seniors and Housing regarding the Grants in Place of Taxes program and the impact on the Town of Wembley. Stated in this letter it is the intention of the current Government at this time to uphold the decision of the previous Government to eliminate Grants in Place of Taxes. The removal of this funding means that our municipality must increase property taxes for all other property owners to cover the $15,000.00 of eliminated grants.
10.2 Letter from rate payer re: Animal Control Bylaw
• Discussion was held regarding the Animal Control Bylaw and a request from a rate payer to consider the idea of a bylaw that enforces responsible ownership with breed neutral guidelines as opposed to a definitive restricted breed.
MOTION # 2016-0126
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that Council review the current Animal Control Bylaw with consideration being made to responsible ownership with breed neutral guidelines as opposed to definitive restricted breeds.
10.3 Administrative Support Clerk – RCMP
MOTION # 2016-0127
Moved by Councillor Anaka that Council authorize the Mayor and CAO to sign the Administrative Support Clerk contract for the Beaverlodge RCMP.
10.4 Appointment of Weed Inspectors
MOTION # 2016-0128
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Tracelle Hinze and Kirsten Rodaker be appointed as Town Weed Inspectors. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 Employee Resignation
• Fire Chief Joe Bruyere submitted resignation effective June 16, 2016 as he has accepted a District Fire Chief job in Taber, Alberta.
MOTION # 2016-0129
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that Council accepts the resignation of Fire Chief Joe Bruyere effective June 16, 2016.
MOTION # 2016-0130
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff to go in camera.
MOTION # 2016-0131
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff to come out of camera.
• Discussion was held regarding the need for a full time Fire Chief.
MOTION # 2016-0132
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the Town of Wembley advertise for a new full time Fire Chief. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.2 Request to cancel tax penalties.
• A request was received by a resident to cancel tax penalties as she forgot to pay her 2015 taxes.
MOTION # 2016-0133
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff to decline the request to forgo tax penalties uphold the no exemptions for penalties policy. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
13. ROUND TABLE
- Advised that she is dealing with Municipal Asset Management again.
- Attended a pension course with Danielle. The change over to the new LAPP program is in progress now.
- Advised that she will be out of the office May 30 to June 1 to attend the CAMA conference to receive her twenty five years of service in Municipal Government award.
Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
- Thanked Council for their support with regards to the ATV Safety course that the AG Society was hosting but advised that the course was cancelled due to low registration.
- Advised that the AG Society received a grant for full wages to hire four summer students this year.
- Advised that he will be attending a meeting for the Mighty Peace Water Shed Alliance in Peace River on May 27, 2016.
- Advised that she saw kids going underneath fence into Skate Park, it looks like the fence has been cut and needs repair.
- CAO Parker will advise Public Works.
- Advised that the last SPARCC meeting was cancelled.
- Will be attending the Grande Spirit Foundation management meeting this week.
- Questioned if anyone had been able to attend the Tenaris information meeting? Council advised that no one had been able to attend.
- Attended and judged the Youth Engagement League Talent Show on May 13, 2016. The event was well attended and the performers were great.
- Advised that he took pizza to the Public Works staff for lunch on May 16, 2016 to celebrate Public Works Appreciation week.
- Commented that the fence and gravel around the water treatment plant looks good.
MOTION # 2016-0134
Moved by Councillor Anaka that the meeting be adjourned at 8:21 p.m.