Jun 28, 2016
Council Highlights June 27th
Regular Meeting of Council – June 27, 2016
- CAO Parker reported that on June 16, 2017 there was a mainline water break that caused the water to be shut off to the Town of Wembley. Due to the amount of rain that had fallen on June 13th & 14th, locating the break was difficult, as there was water pooling in many areas of the Town. The reservoir water level was depleted to the point that the distribution pumps shut down and the town had to haul in water from Beaverlodge and Aquatera. The Public Works Department was able to locate the break and complete the repair on June 17, 2016. Mayor, Council and staff thank the public for their patience and support throughout the process.
- CAO Parker advised that after speaking with Public Works and the Parks and Recreation Departments, both reported that the Mud Bogs held on the weekend of June 18 & 19, 2016 were very well organized and managed, and that all safety issues were addressed to the highest standards. Both departments support the upcoming Wembley Mayhem and Council approved the land lease contract.
- Mayor Turnmire noted that the West County Traffic Safety Coalition participated in two bike rodeos this year, one in Beaverlodge and one in Wembley, both were a wonderful success. They also have plans to host a quad safety course in the fall.
- In continued efforts towards the proposed regional water line from Aquatera to the Village of Hythe, Council received notification from Alberta Infrastructure Transportation that the Water For Life grant application for the detailed design portion of the regional water line project was awarded 90% of the project cost, being $1, 809,000.00. Completion of the design will bring this project to a shovel ready status which is encouraging for continued grant funding.
- Wembley Fire Association is excited for the second annual Canada Day Festivities that will take place on Friday July 1, 2016. There will be a pancake breakfast, BBQ lunch and lots of free activities!
- Council motioned to accept the contract with Atco Electric regarding the new service at the football ball field for lighting.
- The Wembley Agricultural Society noted that this year’s Wonder Land of Trees in December will be featuring Dueling Pianos!!