COUNCIL MINUTES - Oct 11, 2016
of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta
held in the Wembley Municipal Office
this 11th day of October, 2016.
- CALL-TO-ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:16 p.m.
CAO Lori Parker
Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
Leave of absence: Councillor Robichaud
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2016-0208
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the agenda be adopted with the addition of:
10.4 – Chris Andersen – Letter to Council
11.1 – Discussion regarding possible need for a by- election’
and the correction of the second 10.2 being changed to 10.3.
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
MOTION # 2016-0209
3.1 Moved by Councillor Jones that the minutes of the regular meeting held September 26, 2016 be adopted as presented.
7:30 p.m. – Ellen Bowles – Vice President of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers
- Opened with thanking Council for the opportunity to meet with them.
- Discussion was held regarding the unions position on maintaining rural postal service.
- The Union believes that Canada Post should be looking for innovative was to expand postal services, not ways to cut back.
- Ellen Bowels briefly touched on the five year on line study that Canada Post conducted, noting that out of Canada’s entire population only eleven thousand replies were received.
- She reported that Canada Post has made six hundred million dollars in profit over the last five years and has the largest fleet in the country.
- Ellen closed by asking Council to write a letter of support for Canadian Postal workers and rural services.
- Thanked Council in advance for their consideration and excused herself.
MOTION # 2016-0210
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the Town of Wembley write a letter of support to the Honorable MaryAnn Mihychuk, stating that the Town of Wembley recognizes the importance of our post offices by preserving daily delivery and encouraging the government to support Canada Post’s expanded services
5.1 Accounts Payable
MOTION # 2016-0211
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque number 20161010 to 20161049 in the amount of $85,242.03 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
5.2 MOTION # 2016-0212
Moved by Councillor Holler that the Revenue & Expense Statement and the Monthly Statement for the month of September 2016 be accepted as presented.
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Coats for Kids and Families Campaign
- CAO Parker advised that the second annual Coats for Kids and Families Campaign is underway.
- Donations will be accepted until October 13, 2016.
- Items will be washed and available for free pick up on October 15 and 22, 2016 at the Fire Hall between the hours of 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 Email from Encana and Water Bulletin – Summer to Winter 2016 – tabled from September 26, 2016 meeting (Councillor Anaka)
- Accepted as information
8.2 Review of Water & Waste Rates (Discussion)
- CAO Parker advised that she has been working on different water and waste water rate scenarios.
- Mayor Turnmire and CAO Parker met with Aquatera and invited them to meet with Council.
- There will be a special meeting with Aquatera Tuesday, November 1, 2016. CAO Parker will send meeting invites to Council.
- Discussion was held regarding the possibility of a significantly higher flat rate fee to any home that refuses to have a meter installed.
MOTION # 2016-0213
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the following reports be accepted as information.
9.1 Minutes of the Parks and Recreation committee meeting held on September 21, 2016.
- Discussion was held regarding board members and the amount of absents and regrets.
- Council has requested that Parks and Recreation Director Christina Ketchum review board attendance and send letters accordingly to any members that have been disqualified in accordance with the terms of reference.
- Council recommends that the Parks and Recreation Board plan some kind of recruitment effort.
9.2 Minutes of the West County Children’s Coalition Committee meeting held on June 13, 2016.
10.1 Canadian Union of Postal Workers – Postal Review
- Addressed during delegation.
10.2 Citizen request to become a member of the FCSS Advisory Board
MOTION # 2016-0214
Moved by Councillor Jones that Brenda Campbell be appointed to the FCSS Wembley Advisory Board.
10.3 WDACHS – Fall Supper, October 22, 2016
- Council received complimentary tickets to the Annual Fall Supper.
- Request received from WDACHS for a silent auction donation.
MOTION # 2016-0215
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Town of Wembley donate $200.00 to the WDACHS Fall Supper
11.1 Discussion regarding Bi-election
MOTION # 2016-0216
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Bi-election date be set for Thursday, December 8, 2016.
12.1 AUMA reports to be submitted by Council members that attended for the next Council meeting.
- Advised that the staff Christmas party will be at the Wembley AG Society’s Winter Gala on Saturday, December 3, 2016.
- CAO Parker requested confirmation of staff attending:
- Councillor Johnson – 2
- Mayor Turnmire – 2
- Councillor Moncrieff – 2
- Councillor Holler – 1
- CAO Parker – 2
- Advised that he attended the ground breaking ceremony for the Hythe Pioneer Homes on September 30, 2016.
MOTION # 2016-0217
Moved by Councillor Jones that the meeting be adjourned at 8:25 p.m.