COUNCIL MINUTES - Nov 14, 2016
of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta
held in the Wembley Municipal Office
this 14th day of November, 2016.
1.CALL-TO-ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
CAO Lori Parker
Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
Leave of Absence – Councillor Robichaud
2.APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2016-0227
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the agenda be adopted as presented.
3.ADOPTION OF MINUTES
MOTION # 2016-0228
3.1 Moved by Councillor Holler that the minutes of the regular meeting held on October 24, 2016 be adopted as present.
4.1 RCMP Sgt. Dave Gallant presented the K Division statistics for the period January to September. Overall there was a decrease in criminal code offences. In North Western Alberta there was an overall crime decrease of 22 percent.
5.1 Accounts Payable
MOTION # 2016-0229
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque number 20161144 – 20161216 in the amount of $200,632.69 be ratified.
5.2 MOTION # 2016-0230
Motion by Councillor Holler that the Monthly Statement and the Revenue and Expense Statement for the month of October 2016 be approved.
6.1 MOTION # 2016-0231
Moved by Councillor Johnson that By-law 693-A being a by-law to establish water and sewer rates be read a first time this meeting.
MOTION # 2016-0232
Moved by Councillor Holler that By-law 693-A receive second reading.
MOTION # 2016-0233
Moved by Councillor Johnson that all three readings of By-law 693-A be given at this meeting.
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that By-693-A receive third and final reading.
7.1 CAO Parker advised that Christina Ketchum, Parks and Recreation Director, will be attending the next regular council meeting as a delegation for clarification on the field house. Christina Ketchum will be scheduled to present quarterly reports to council.
7.2 The CAO advised that she attended a CAO meeting on November 8, 2016, at the County of Grande Prairie to discuss ACP grant applications.
7.3 The CAO provided an update on the water meter installation project. Approximately fifty households have not made an appointment to have their water meter installed. Aquatera will be installing meters until December 9, 2016. After this date the property owner will be responsible for the costs associated with the meter and installation.
8.1 The Intermunicipal meeting date has been confirmed for December 1, 2016. The meeting will be held at the Coca Cola Centre, KMSC Law Meeting Rooms A and B commencing at 6:00 pm. Mayor Turnmire, Councillor Holler and CAO Parker will be attending.
MOTION # 2016-0235
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the following reports be accepted as information.
9.1 Minutes of the Public Works Committee meeting held on November 2, 2016.
- Agreement with Canadian Non-operating Resources, through Titan Energy Services Ltd., for wastewater use has been signed.
9.2 Notes from the meeting with Aquatera held on November 1, 2016.
9.3 County Enforcement and Animal Control reports for the month of October 2016.
9.4 Minutes of the GPREP Planning and Coordinating meeting held on September 8, 2016.
9.5 Minutes of the Wapiti Area Synergy Partnership meeting held on October 11, 2016.
9.6 Minutes of the Wembley Fire Department meeting held on November 3, 2016.
9.7 Minutes of the FCSS Advisory Board meeting held on November 9, 2016.
10.1 Letter received from Minister Brian Mason, Alberta Infrastructure Transportation, announcing funding for the West Corridor Water Transmission Line Phase 1 – Wembley. The town will receive a grant of 85.76 per cent of the estimated eligible project costs, or up to $18,515,584.00 for the project from combined provincial and federal sources.
10.2 Carbon copy letter received from the County of Grande Prairie No. 1 to the City of Grande Prairie requesting consideration of joining the Regional Mutual Aid Agreement and return as a Partner Community.
10.3 Letter was received from the Grande Spirt Foundation advising the importance of member municipalities including Grande Spirit Foundation in their plans for future seniors housing.
10.4 Open letter to Town of Wembley and area residents from the Wembley Greenhouse was read and discussed.
MOTION # 2016-0236
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the letter from Wembley Greenhouse be accepted as information.
10.5 Email received from Shannon Stubbs, Member of Parliament for Lakeland
regarding the Federal government intent to impose a national carbon pricing scheme on all jurisdictions across Canada by 2018.
11.1 Discussion was held to determine if an advance vote should be held for the upcoming election.
MOTION # 2016-0237
Moved by Councillor Johnson that an advance poll be held for the December 8, 2016 election.
- Advance Poll will be held on December 3, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
MOTION # 2016-0238
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the remuneration for the election workers shall be time off at a rate of 1.5 hours for every hour worked outside of regular business hours in lieu of wages.
11.2 Office hours during the Christmas Season was discussed.
MOTION # 2016-0239
Moved by Councillor Holler that the Town Office be closed on December 23rd to December 27, 2016 inclusive and January 2, 2017 during the Christmas Season.
11.3 Council meeting date for December was discussed.
MOTION # 2016-0240
Moved by Councillor Johnson that only one meeting of Council be held in the month of December; and
That the regular meeting be scheduled for Monday, December 12, 2016 at 7:00 p.m.
11.4 Computer training with Neptune will be held on December 7th and 8th, 2016.
MOTION # 2016-0241
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Town Office will be closed on December 7, 2016 for computer training.
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
12.1 Councillor Johnson and Councillor Moncrieff provided a verbal report on their attendance to the AUMA Convention.
- There was a great turn out for the Remembrance Day Service.
- Thank you was extended to the Fire Department for their assistance setting up and taking down the Halloween decorations.
- FCSS is hosting “Light the Night” on December 4, 2016.
- Thank you was extending to the Public Works Department for the installation of the lights in the Community Hall and trees.
- FCSS is hosting a free Little Warriors “Prevent It” workshop on November 21, 2016 from 6:00 pm-9:00 pm.
- Advised that he has not received notification from Grande Prairie Regional Tourism of the upcoming meetings.
- Has had a conversation with Doctor Crow regarding the requirements for a medical office in Wembley.
- Attended the Open House sponsored by Anker Developments on October 27, 2016 at the Museum. Information was requested from the residents of Wembley to determine what the residents would like to see developed by the Museum.
- Remembrance Day Service was great.
- Inquired what the CAO thought of the EOC two day workshop. CAO Parker’s response that it was an excellent workshop and that the main focus was on running an efficient Emergency Operations Centre. Councillor Johnson advised that he appreciates the effort that the CAO puts forth to the Director of Emergency Management position.
- Advised that she attended the GPREP EOC training on November 24th and 25th. Fire Chief Matt Smith attended the training for the full week.
- Advised that she will be attending the GPREP table top training on November 17, 2016.
- Advised that the 2016 Tax Sale is schedule for November 16, 2016 at 11:00 am.
- Attended the Anker Developments Open House on October 27, 2016.
- Brought greeting on behalf of the town to the Local Government Administrators Association meeting on October 27, 2016.
- Met with the RCMP “K” Division Review Services on November 4, 2016. This meeting was held to review various operational and administrative activities at the Grande Prairie Detachment to ensure policy practices are adhered to.
- Attended, with CAO Parker, on November 8, 2016, the Mayor and CAO meeting at the County of Grande Prairie to participate in the County’s growth and economic development strategy over the next fifty years. Consulting team was ParioPlan Incorporated with assistance from Tessellate Inc and Associated Engineering. Residents can obtain information from the County of Grande Prairie’s website for more information.
- Good turn out to the Remembrance Day Service.
MOTION # 2016-0242
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the meeting be adjourned at 9:13 p.m.