COUNCIL MINUTES - NOV 28, 2016
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL
of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta
held in the Wembley Municipal Office
this 28th day of November, 2016.
1. CALL-TO-ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
- Councillor Holler
- Councillor Johnson
- CAO Lori Parker
- Absent - Councillor Moncrieff
- Leave of Absence – Councillor Robichaud
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2016-0243
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the agenda be adopted as presented.
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
MOTION # 2016-0244
3.1 Moved by Councillor Holler that the minutes of the regular meeting held on November 14, 2016 be adopted as present.
4.1 Christina Ketchum, Parks and Recreation Director met with Council to discuss priorities, grant funding applications, and the consideration of a Multi Sports Building.
- The top priorities for the five year capital plan are;
Playground equipment, Multi Sports Building, Archery Building and five (5) kilometer walking trail.
- New playground equipment will be installed at Sunset Lake Park in 2017.
- Currently the venues in the town are booked and the committee is having a difficult time putting on programs.
- Wembley is the host for football for the 2018 Summer Games.
- If grant funding is available the committee will pursue a Multi Sports Building.
- Discussion was held if a new building should be built or an addition to the Rec Centre be considered to resolve the venue shortage.
- No financial requests were made to the town for the construction of a Multi Sports building. To date the request has been land, utilities and an operating budget if the project proceeds.
- The Parks and Recreation Director was instructed to research design engineering costs for a Multi Sports Building.
- Discussion was held on an Archery Building. The town supports the idea and would possibly provide the land. The Parks and Recreation Director was instructed to obtain information on operating costs for this venture. The town made no financial commitment to this project.
4.2 RCMP Supt. Don McKenna and Inspector Craig Peterson met with Council to discuss policing issues. Crime in the region is on a down turn.
5.1 Accounts Payable
MOTION # 2016-0245
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque number 20161217 – 20161267 in the amount of $192,212.09 be ratified.
6.1 By-law 661-A was reviewed and tabled to the next meeting.
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 CAO Parker advised that an Advance Poll has been scheduled for December 3, 2016 between the hours of 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for the upcoming election.
7.2 Mayor Turnmire, CAO Parker and Finance Clerk Danielle Line will be the judges for the Christmas Light up Contest. Judging will take place on December 14, 2016.
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 Alberta Community Partnership (ACP) Grant applications.
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Town of Wembley, as a partnering municipality, provide a letter of support for the County of Grande Prairie’s application under the Alberta Community Partnership (ACP) Grant, Intermunicipal Collaboration (IC) component for an Inter-Municipal Development Plan.
Moved by Councillor Holler that the Town of Wembley, as a partnering municipality, provide a letter of support to the Town of Beaverlodge’s application under the Alberta Community Partnership (ACP) Grant, Intermunicipal Collaboration (IC) component for a Regional Roads Network Assessment.
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Town of Wembley, as a partnering municipality, provide a letter of support to the Village of Hythe’s application under the Alberta Community Partnership (ACP) Grant, Intermunicipal Collaboration (IC) component for a Land Use Bylaw review.
MOTION # 2016-249
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Town of Wembley as the managing partner submit an application under the Alberta Community Partnership (ACP) Grant, Intermunicipal Collaboration (IC) component for a Handi-Bus feasibility study.
MOTION # 2016-0250
Moved by Councillor Holler that the following reports be accepted as information.
9.1 Minutes of the Parks and Recreation Committee meeting held on November 15, 2016.
9.2 Water North Coalition draft minutes of the meeting held on
October 27, 2016.
9.3 County of Grande Prairie No. 1 Growth and Economic Development Strategy (PariPlan Incorporated) notes from the meeting held on November 8, 2016.
9.4 Draft minutes of the Northern Alberta Elected Leaders meeting held
- on October 14, 2016.
10.1 Letter received from Mayor Bill Given inviting the Town of Wembley to join in a joint regional application to the provincial government for funding under the Alberta Community Partnership (ACP) Grant program for a Regional Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework (ICF) agreement.
- This item will be on the agenda for the Intermunicipal meeting scheduled meeting held on December 1, 2016 - Tabled to next regular meeting.
10.2 Wastewater Reuse Authorization was received from Alberta Environment and Parks.
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 The County of Grande Prairie No. 1 Council is requesting a meeting with the Town of Wembley Council to discuss right of way’s for the regional water line on December 12, 2016. Mayor Turnmire, Councillors Holler and Johnson and CAO Parker will be attending the meeting.
11.2 MOTION #2016-0251
Moved by Councillor Holler that the Council adjourns from the order of business and move in camera.
Moved by Councillor Holler that the Council reconvene the order of business.
Discussion held in camera was in regards to employee remuneration for 2017.
The CAO vacated the council chambers so that the Council could prepare the CAO evaluation and discuss her 2017 remuneration. The CAO returned to the council chamber and the CAO evaluation was discussed with her.
MOTION # 2016-0253
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the CAO receive a 2% salary increase and that five (5) days be added to her vacation entitlement effective January 1, 2017.
MOTION # 2016-0254
Moved by Councillor Holler that all Town of Wembley employees receive a 2% increase to their wages effective January 1, 2017 and that two employees receive an additional increase as identified in Schedule “A”.
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
13. ROUND TABLE
- Advised that she will be attending a SPARC and Grande Spirit Foundation meeting in December.
- FCSS is hosting “Light the Night” on December 4, 2016.
- Attended the Little Warriors “Prevent It” workshop on November 21, 2016.
- The FCSS Conference was good and a report will be presented to Council in December.
- December will be a busy month.
- Advised that she attended the GPREP EOC table top exercise on November 17th. The exercise was not scripted and provided valuable insight.
- Attending a meeting with Mayor Turnmire with the Mayor and CAO of the Town of Sexsmith on November 18th.
- Attended the Candidate Forum on November 24th.
- Advised on the Water West Steering Committee meeting held on November 16, 2016;
- At this meeting, a project manager to represent the best interests of Wembley and the Steering Committee and to oversee the construction phase of the pipeline was discussed.
MOTION # 2016-0255
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Town of Wembley as the managing partner pursue obtaining a project manager to oversee the Water West Transmission Line construction
- Mayor Turnmire advised that he will be calling a meeting to discuss this project with the Aquatera shareholders and the members of the Water West Steering Committee.
- Attended the Candidate Forum on November 24th. The Town and County News requested an interview regarding the forum.
MOTION # 2016-0256
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the meeting be adjourned at 9:55 p.m.