COUNCIL MINUTES - Dec 12, 2016
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL
of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta
held in the Wembley Municipal Office
this 12th day of December, 2016.
1. CALL-TO-ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:08 p.m.
CAO Lori Parker
Absent – Councillor Robichaud
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2016-0259
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the agenda be adopted as presented.
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
MOTION # 2016-0260
3.1 Moved by Councillor Johnson that the minutes of the regular meeting held on November 28, 2016 be adopted with the amendment of clarification on 4.1 Parks and Recreation Delegation Item #7.
5.1 Accounts Payable
MOTION # 2016-0261
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque number 20161268 – 20161312 in the amount of $79,574.68 be ratified.
5.2 MOTION # 2016-0262
Moved by Councillor Holler that the Revenue & Expense Statement and the Monthly Statement for the month of November 2016 be accepted as presented.
5.3 MOTION # 2016-0263
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the 2017 Interim Operating Budget be adopted as presented.
5.4 MOTION # 2016-0264
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the West Grande Prairie County Solid Waste Management 2017 Preliminary Budget be accepted as information.
6.1 MOTION # 2016-0265
Moved by Councillor Holler that By-Law 661-A being a by-law to establish garbage and recycling rates be read a first time this meeting.
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that By-Law 661-A receive second reading.
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that all three readings of By-Law 661-A be given at this meeting.
MOTION # 2016-0268
Moved by Councillor Underwood that By-Law 661-A receive third and final reading.
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 CAO Parker provided a report regarding Well #5. The pump on Well #5 is not working and the Public Works Department has determined that the pump needs to be replaced. Water is being hauled from Aquatera to maintain the water reservoir levels. Pump has been purchased and installation will commence as soon as the contractor is available.
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 City of Grande Prairie’s request to be a participating partner for the Alberta Community Partnership (ACP) Grant application for the preparation of an Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework (ICF) was discussed. Due to the uncertainties of the requirements of the legislation regarding ICF’s, clarification on the regulations is required before council can make any commitment for this initiative. When the Provincial Government releases the full regulations, Council will consider being a partnering municipality. CAO was instructed to forward a letter to the City of Grande Prairie.
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Town of Wembley will not be a participant of the ICF Grant Application at this time.
MOTION # 2016-0270
Moved by Councillor Holler that the following reports be accepted as information. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.1 Minutes of the Wembley Fire Department meeting held on December 1, 2016 and the Fire Chief Report. Councillor Holler advised that the Fire Chief’s Report is a welcoming addition.
9.2 Minutes of the FCSS Advisory Board meeting held on December 7, 2016.
9.3 Minutes of the West County Traffic Safety Coalition meeting held on October 25, 2016. Mayor Turnmire advised that the committee is investigating the purchase and cost sharing of a speed indicator sign for the town. This item was referred to budget deliberations.
9.4 Minutes from the South Peace Physician Attraction and Retention Committee meeting held on August 25, 2016.
9.5 County Animal Control and Enforcement Services report for the month of November 2016.
9.6 Minutes of the Peace Library System meeting held on November 26, 2016.
9.7 Minutes of the Water West Steering Committee meeting held on November 16, 2016.
10.1 Letter was received from the City and County of Grande Prairie No. 1 requesting town representation to the Joint Grande Prairie Area Recreation Committee. Councillor Moncrieff and Parks and Recreation Director Christina Ketchum were appointed to this committee at the Organizational Meeting. CAO was instructed to forward the letter to the City and the County advising the appointments.
11. NEW BUSINESS
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
13. ROUND TABLE
- Advised that she had a conversation with Herb Pfau regarding the Department of Transportations planned construction to install traffic control signals at the intersection of Highway 43X and Highway 43 instead of an interchange. This intersection will be similar to the one at the entrance to the airport. This is a concern as the traffic will be stopped at the bottom of Richmond Hill. Mr. Pfau is requesting that the municipalities lobby for a proper interchange and voice their concerns against traffic control devices being installed at this intersection. Mayor Turnmire will discuss the Town’s concerns with MLA Wayne Drysdale.
- CAO advised that Tasha Johnson will be assisting the administrative staff with clerical work until the return of the Administrative Assistant.
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
- Excited to work with Council.
- Inquired why council representative appointments to the School Advisory Boards was not continued. Mayor Turnmire advised that there have not been any minutes or information received from the previous representatives. This item will be reviewed at the January meeting.
- Advised that the Wembley Fire Association will be adopting two families for Christmas. The Association will provide gifts and food to the chosen nominated families.
- Welcome extended to the newly elected Council members.
- Thank you for the kind welcome.
- FCSS Seniors Brunch was successful despite the cold weather.
- Approximately twenty families attended the Light the Night activities.
- Congratulations and thank you to the new council members for running for council.
- Mayor Turnmire briefed Council on the use of social media. When responding to comments on facebook ensure that the information that you are providing is correct.
- Christmas Party was good.
- Advised on the meeting with County Council regarding right-of-ways for the regional water line. The County of Grande Prairie is supportive in using the County’s right-of-ways.
- Water West Steering Committee will be held on December 21, 2016.
- Provided information regarding the County’s News release on grant approvals for Wembley organizations.
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Council adjourns from the order of business and move in camera.
MOTION # 2016-0272
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Council reconvene the order of business.
Section 174(1)(d) of the Municipal Government Act was discussed.
MOTION # 2016-0273
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the meeting be adjourned at 8:45 p.m.