COUNCIL MINUTES - Apr 10, 2017
of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta
held in the Wembley Municipal Office
this 10th day of April, 2017.
1. CALL-TO- ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 6:52 p.m.
- Councillor Holler
- Councillor McCallum
- Councillor Johnson
- Councillor Underwood
- Councillor Robichaud
- CAO Lori Parker
- Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
- Regrets: Councillor Moncrieff
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2017-0078
Moved by Councillor Holler that the agenda be adopted with the addition of 8.1 –
Quick Valve Insertion Project Proposal Information.
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on March 27, 2017.
MOTION # 2017-0079
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the minutes of the regular meeting of Council held on March 27, 2017 be adopted as presented.
4.1 Steve Craig – Pinnacle Picker Services
- Introduced himself as Owner/Operator of Pinnacle Picker Services a business located in Wembley.
- Steve explained that business is going well and growing quickly. Soquickly in fact that they have run out of room for equipment and are in need of expanding.
- Advised that the company would be interested in purchasing approximately two and a half acres of the running along the east side of his existing property line.
- The property would be leveled, graveled and fenced. It would be used for equipment storage only and no building would ever be built on it.
- Mayor and CAO explained that there is a process that will need to be followed in investigating the option of the Town selling, as that land is part of the lagoon expansion plan and there are also existing agreements with other users.
- Steve expressed that the company would agree to pay for any surveying expenses.
- Steve thanked Council for their time and excused himself at 7:45 p.m.
- Discussion was held regarding the option of subdividing and selling that portion of land to Pinnacle Picker Services.
- Council was in agreement that it is great to see a local business doing so well after one year that they need to expand and it would be unfortunate if they had to move outside of Wembley because they required more space.
- CAO advised Council that she would first have to check with the engineers about the conditions on the land with regards to the lagoon expansions.
MOTION # 2017-0080
Moved by Councillor Robichaud that Town of Wembley start the process of investigating the possibility of selling approximately two and a half acres of the west side of SE–22–71–8–W6 to Pinnacle Picker Services.
5.1 Accounts Payable
MOTION # 2017-0081
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20170279 to cheque # 20170318 totaling $163,412.59 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
5.2 Revenue and Expenses and Monthly Statement for the month of March 2017.
MOTION # 2017-0082
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Revenue and Expense and Monthly Statement for the month of March 2017 be accepted as presented.
5.3 West Grande Prairie County Solid Waste Management Authority Audited Financial Statements for 2016.
MOTION # 2017-0083
Moved by Councillor Robichaud that Council accept the 2016 audited financial statement for West Grande Prairie County Solid Waste Management as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
5.4 2017 Budget
Moved to end of meeting.
6.1 Review Bylaw 697
- Discussion was held regarding adopting proposed bylaw 697, a schedule of Fees, Rates and Charges for services where fees are not previously established by or attached to a Bylaw.
- CAO Parker advised that she would like Council to review it over the next few weeks and bring back any comments, concerns or suggestions to the next Council meeting.
- Tabled to next Council meeting.
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Report on meetings attended
- CAO Parker advised that she attended the following out of office meetings.
March 24, 2017 – meeting of CAO’s in preparation for the Intermunicipal Meeting.
April 5, 2017 - Regional Land Fill Meeting.
April 5, 2017 – What’s Up Wembley?
April 6, 2017 – Intermunicipal Meeting.
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 Quick Valve Insertion Project Proposal Information.
- Review and discussion was held regarding the proposal received from Aaron Halwa regarding the Quick Valve Insertion Project.
MOTION # 2017-0084
Moved by Councillor Johnson that upon acceptance of the MSI Grant application for the Valve Replacement Program, the Council of the Town of Wembley accept Aaron Halwa’s proposal for installation of the valves.
MOTION # 2017-0085
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the following reports be accepted as information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.1 Minutes of the Public Works Committee meeting held on April 5, 2017 and the Fire Chief March 2017 Report.
- Mayor Turnmire advised that work has begun on repairing potholes throughout Town.
9.2 Minutes of the West County Traffic Coalition meeting held on February 13, 2017.
9.3 Notes from the South Peace Physician Attraction and Retention Committee meeting held on November 29, 2016.
- Councillor Holler advised that due to changes in Alberta Health Services the area is seeing a significant increase in applications from Doctors.
9.4 Minutes of the Community Futures Grande Prairie and Region meeting held on February 9, 2017.
9.5 Minutes from the Peace Library System Board meeting held on March 25, 2017.
9.6 West County Regional Landfill meeting held on September 2, 2016.
- CAO Parker advised that the landfill resigned with Tervita with a four percent yearly increase for the next five years.
9.7 County Enforcement and Animal Control reports for the Month of March 2017.
- CAO Parker advised that she received clarification as per Councils request with regards the number of tickets issued and noted that the numbers are the same because it is one service for Enforcement and Animal Control.
10.1 City of Grande Prairie re: ACP grant application for ICF
MOTION # 2017-0086
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the Town of Wembley partner with the City of Grande Prairie and the Town of Sexsmith on their ACP Grant Application for Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework pre-work.
10.2 Proclamation – Public Works Week May 21 – 27, 2017.
MOTION # 2017-0087
Moved by Councillor Holler that the Council of the Town of Wembley proclaim the week of May 21 -27, 2017 Public Works Week:
WHEREAS: public works infrastructure, facilities and services are vital to the health, safety and well-being of the residents of the Town of Wembley;
WHEREAS: such facilities and services could not be provided without the dedicated efforts of public works professionals, engineers and administrators who are responsible for building, operating and maintaining the public works systems that serve our citizens;
WHEREAS: the Public Works Association instituted Public Works Week as a public education campaign “to inform communities and their leaders on the importance of our nation’s public infrastructure and public works services”;
WHEREAS: it is in the public interest of the citizens and civic leaders to gain knowledge of the public works needs and programs of their respective communities;
WHEREAS: Public Works Week also recognizes the contributions of public works professionals.
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 Helen E Taylor Newsletter – Thank you extended to the Town of Wembley for the financial donation to the Healthy Eating Program.
11.2 2016 Wembley Community Award.
- Two nominations were received for the Wembley Community Award recipient.
MOTION # 2017-0088
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the 2016 Wembley Community Award be awarded to Louis Burns for his dedication to fifty years of coaching hockey.
11.3 Schedule meeting with City Council.
- Discussion was held regarding the need for a meeting with the Town of Wembley Council and the Mayor and City Manager from the City of Grande Prairie to discuss shared revenue and clarification on how it works with the County of Grande Prairie and the Town of Sexsmith.
- CAO Parker asked Council to please provide dates that work best for them and she will schedule a meeting and then advise them once a final date is set.
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
13. ROUND TABLE
- Attended the Intermunicipal Meeting.
- Attended the South Peace Physician Attention and Retention meeting and advised that things are going well and this committee is getting a lot of praise and Kudos for the work they have been doing.
- Has been approached by a possible middle man wanting to purchase non potable waste water from the Town and asked the CAO to provide him information that can be forwarded to interested party.
- Advised that he will be attending a Wildfire Symposium in Toronto and will be gone for four days.
- Extends regrets for the Council meeting on April 24, 2017.
- FCSS participated in the Big Brothers and Sisters curl for Kids, which raised fifteen thousand dollars.
- FCSS purchased eight T-Rex Dinosaur blow up costumes and entered as the “Sexy Rexy’s”.
- Costumes are available for use to other community groups by request to the FCSS Board of Directors.
- Extends regrets for the Council meeting on April 24, 2017.
- Advised that she received a call from a Beaverlodge Doctor who is in the preliminary stages of looking at setting up a practice in Wembley with three other Doctors and was inquiring about space.
CAO Parker advised that the Town does not currently have any space available but did provide information for other private developers that may.
- Attended the Intermunicipal Meeting on April 6, 2017.
Briefly discussed Highway 43 and 43 X interchange and the possibility of an information session by Alberta Transportation to discuss the interchange and regional priorities.
Provide Council with information the 211 Service being discussed by the United Way.
- Provided Council with an update on the Regional Water Line.
- Reminder to council the AGM for the West County Traffic Safety Coalition is being held on April 11, 2017 at the Beaverlodge Resource Center at 10:00 a.m.
- Attended What’s Up Wembley? On April 5, 2017.
Good turnout and a lot of comments from people on the display that the Town had on the table regarding what should or should not be flushed into our sewer system.
MOTION # 2017-0089
Moved by Councillor McCallum to recess for five minutes at 8:08 p.m.
MOTION # 2017-0090
Moved by Councillor Holler that Council resume regular meeting at 8:13 p.m.
5.4 2017 Budget
Moved to end of the meeting.
The rest of the meeting was spent on budget deliberations.
MOTION # 2017-0091
Moved by Councillor Robichaud to rescind Policy # 149.
MOTION # 2017-0092
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the meeting be adjourned at 8:46 p.m.