Council Minutes - May 23, 2017
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL
of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 23rd day of May, 2017.
1. CALL-TO- ORDER
Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:10 p.m.
- Councillor Holler
- Councillor Underwood
- CAO Lori Parker
- Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
- Late - Councillor Johnson (arrived at 7:10 p.m. from fire call)
- Councillor McCallum (arrived at 7:45 p.m.)
- Regrets - Councillor Moncrieff
- Absent – Councillor Robichaud
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2017-0126
Moved by Councillor Holler that the agenda be adopted with the additions of
9.4 – Minutes of the Parks and Recreation meeting held on May 16, 2017 and
9.5 – Minutes of the Motor Sports Field meeting held on May 18, 2017.
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on May 8, 2017
MOTION # 2017-0127
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the minutes of the regular meeting of Council held on May 9, 2017 be adopted as presented.
4.1 7:30 p.m. – STARS, Glenda Farnden
- Glenda thanked Council for the opportunity to speak with Council and provide them with an update.
- Stars is one of three Critical Care Units in Canada with CAMTS – Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems.
- Star is the Leading Edge of Technology with such items as I-Stat Lab, EZ-IO Drill and the Hamilton T-1 Transport Ventilator which is now has Adult/Pediatric and Neonatal capabilities.
- Stars is also the first in Canada to have Universal Blood on Board.
- Stars is seventy nine percent funded through fundraising initiatives and twenty one percent government funded.
- Reviewed the types and number of missions flown by STARS over the last year.
- Outlined the Alberta Municipal Initiative stating that over three quarters of the Rural Municipalities are participating with contributions ranging from two to sixty five dollars per capita.
- Glenda thanked Council and the Town of Wembley for their support since 2009 and continued commitment of two dollars per capita.
- Letters of request for continued support at two dollars per capita for a four year term will be sent out soon.
- Thanked Council for their time and excused herself at 7:45 p.m.
MOTION # 2017-0128
Moved by Councillor Holler to recess for five minutes.
MOTION # 2017-0129
Moved by Councillor Johnson to reconvene at 7:51 p.m.
5.1 Accounts Payable
MOTION # 2017-0130
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20170443 to cheque # 20170494 totaling $95,114.57 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
6.1 By-Law 700 – Animal Control
MOTION # 2017-0131
Moved by Councillor Johnson that By-law # 700 receive first reading.
MOTION # 2017-0132
Moved by Councillor Holler that By-law # 700 receive second reading.
MOTION # 2017-0133
Moved by Councillor Underwood that By-law # 700 receive all three readings at this meeting. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2017-0134
Moved by Councillor Johnson that By-law # 700 receive third and final reading.
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Alberta Transportation meeting scheduled for May 25, 2017 cancelled.
- Meeting may be rescheduled for June 9, 2017.
- CAO will keep Council advised and send out a meeting request once a date and time are determined.
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 Land adjacent to the Lagoon
- Discussion was held regarding the land adjacent to the Lagoon and expansion requirements.
- Discussion was held regarding shareholder options for Aquatera.
- CAO Parker advised that Council should accept as information at this time.
MOTION # 2017-0135
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the following reports be accepted as information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.1 Minutes of the Wembley Fire Department meeting held on May 11, 2017.
9.2 Minutes of the FCSS Advisory Board meeting held on May 16, 2017 and the May 2017 Directors Report.
9.3 Minutes of the Wembley Public Library Board meeting held on January 11, 2017.
- Councillor Underwood noted that the annual report was submitted to the Library board at the end of February.
9.4 Minutes of the Parks and Recreation meeting held on May 16, 2017.
9.5 Minutes of the Motor Sports Field meeting held on May 18, 2017.
- Discussion was held regarding the proposed sale of two and a half acres of SE 22-71- 8-W6, the need for the property for future Lagoon expansion and Councils vision for the property as a motor sports event field.
- Councillor McCallum recommends that Council determine a clear directive for future use of the land and then have the Parks and Recreation Director organize a meeting with the primary contacts for the main anticipated user groups and have them submit a unified plan within a time frame.
- Council expressed unified agreement that they want to see development of that field progress.
MOTION # 2017-0136
Moved by Councillor Johnson that at this time the Town of Wembley decline the request to sell two and a half acres of SE 22-71- 8-W6 as the Town is not in the position to give up land that may be required in the future for expansion of the lagoons. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2017-0137
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Council request that the Parks and Recreation Director schedule a meeting by June 15, 2017 with all potential groups that want to develop SE 22-71- 8-W6 with the intentions of using it as a Motor Sports Field and submit a unified plan to Council for approval by September 15, 2017.
10.1 Seniors Week Declaration June 5 – 11, 2017.
MOTION # 2017-0138
Moved by Councillor Underwood that Council authorize Mayor Turnmire to declare June 5 – 11, 2017 Seniors Week.
10.2 Seniors Week Luncheon & Tea – Wembley Community Hall – June 8, 2017.
- CAO Parker advised that there are complimentary tickets available.
10.3 Encana – Proposed project information letter re: Pipeline from 04-11- 071-08W6M to 10-09- 071-08W6M.
MOTION # 2017-0139
Moved by Councillor Johnson that after review the Town of Wembley has no objections to Encana’s proposed project 04-11- 071-08W6M to 10-09- 071-08W6M. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
10.4 Farm Safety Centre – Financial contribution request.
MOTION # 2017–0140
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Council accept the financial contribution request from the Farm Safety Centre as information.
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 Tax Write-off
MOTION # 2017-0141
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the Town of Wembley write off twenty one thousand five hundred sixty eight dollars and eighty cents in taxes for Wembley Developments. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.2 AUMA/AMSC Energy Retail Program
- CAO Parker recommends not extending the contract at this time.
MOTION # 2017-0142
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Council accept the AUMA/AMSC Energy Retail Program as information. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
12.1 Councillor Johnson
- Advised that he attended the Wapiti Area Synergy Partnership meeting in order to answer questions and address concerns from residents regarding the water that was being removed from the drainage burrow pit in the Wembley Developments subdivision but no residents attended the meeting.
12.2 Councillor McCallum
- Advised that he attended the Water North Coalition meeting in Cold Lake.
- Advised that there were lots of good representatives and networking opportunities at the meeting.
13. ROUND TABLE
- Asked if there had been any more follow up or information on the negotiations with the Baptist Church and the possibility of the Town acquiring the property?
MOTION # 2017-0143
Moved by Councillor Holler that it is Council directive to have Mayor Turnmire investigate options and negotiations with regards to the Town of Wembley acquiring the Baptist Church.
MOTION # 2017-0144
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the meeting be adjourned at 9:12 p.m.