COUNCIL MINUTES - JUNE 26, 2017
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 26th day of June, 2017.
CALL-TO- ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
- Councillor Holler
- Councillor McCallum
- Councillor Underwood
- CAO Lori Parker
- Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
- Regrets: Councillor Moncrieff
- Councillor Johnson
- Absent: Councillor Robichaud
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2017-0155
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the agenda be adopted with the additions of:
9.6 – Minutes of the Parks and Recreation meeting held June 20, 2017.
10.4 – Letter of request for street closure from the Soap Box Derby.
11.3 – State of the County Address lunch – June 29, 2017.
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on June 12, 2017
MOTION # 2017-0156
Moved by Councillor Holler that the minutes of the regular meeting of Council held on June 12, 2017 be adopted with the amendment to Motion # 2017-0153, removing the word “alternate” and to read “ Moved by Councillor Johnson that Councillor McCallum be appointed to the Wembley Library Board.” CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
5.1 Accounts Payable
MOTION # 2017-0157
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20170563 to cheque # 20170620 totaling $164,484.21 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Attended the Municipal Affairs Regional Training sessions on June 21, June 22 and June 23, 2017.
- Works shops included review of the amended MGA, Intermunicipal Framework and Elections.
8. OLD BUSINESS
MOTION # 2017-0158
Moved by Councillor Holler that the following reports be accepted as information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.1 Minutes of the GPREP Planning and Coordinating meeting held on June 8, 2017.
9.2 Minutes of the GPREP Emergency Management Committee meeting held on June 8, 2017.
9.3 Fire Chief Report re: 2017 Alberta Fire Chiefs Association Annual Conference.
- CAO Parker thanked Council on behalf of Fire Chief and Deputy Chief for the opportunity to attend the conference.
9.4 Wembley Municipal Library Board 2017 Budget.
- Budget presented as information.
- CAO Parker advised that she did an audit review for the library this year and advised them if an audit would be required for next year they must request it with a minimum of three weeks’ notice.
- CAO Parker noted that the Budget was completed and submitted on the due date.
9.5 Minutes of the FCSS Advisory Board Meeting held on June 20, 2017.
9.6 Minutes of the Parks and Recreation meeting held on June 20, 2017.
10.1 Stars 2018/19/20/21 Funding.
MOTION # 2017-0159
Moved by Councillor Holler that the Town of Wembley continue the support of STARS with the renewed commitment of two dollars per capita for four years (2018-2021). CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
10.2 Citizens request for appointment to the Parks and Recreation Board.
MOTION # 2017-0160
Moved by Councillor Underwood that Council appoint Carly Van De Pol, Mike Tapson and Martina Brewer to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board.
10.3 Citizen request for appointment to the Wembley Library Board.
MOTION # 2017-0161
Moved by Councillor McCallum that Council appoint Martina Brewer to the Wembley Library for a three year term. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
10.4 Soap Box Derby letter of request.
MOTION # 2017-0162
Moved by Councillor Underwood that Council grant the request to close 99 Avenue from 97 Street to 94 Street from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on August 26, 2017 for the Annual Soap Box Derby. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 Wembley Community Hall.
- CAO Parker advised that the floor in the back south east corner is spongy.
- Public Works inspected the floor and determined that it is not dangerous but there is moisture damage.
- Public works will investigate further and report back at the next public works meeting.
- Aaron also advised that they are going to do some dirt work around the south side of the building to build it up and stop the water from going under the building.
11.2 Request to lease or purchase Lot 9/10, Block 3, Plan 3255.
- Discussion was held regarding customers request to lease or purchase the land to put a food trailer on and make BBQ Sauce.
- Council ask CAO Parker to request a proposal and business plan.
- Tabled to the next meeting.
11.3 State of County Address.
- CAO Parker advised that the State of County Address will be held as a luncheon on June 29 from 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- There is a $30.00 charge for lunch and all attendees must pre-register.
- Mayor Turnmire advised that he will be attending.
12. COUNCIL REPORTS12.1 Councillor Underwood
- Attended the Master Recreation meeting with Parks and Recreation
Director Christina Ketchum as the designated council member was unable to attend.
MOTION # 2017-0163
Moved by Councillor Holler that Councillor Underwood be appointed as an alternate to the Master Recreation Board. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12.2 Councillor Holler
- Attended the Grande Spirit Foundation Management Meeting that was held at Lakeview, the new senior’s complex in Clairmont.
- It is a beautiful facility, people have already started moving in and they will be having a grand opening in the fall.
13. ROUND TABLE
CAO Lori Parker
- Advised that Public Works has the spray park in Sunset Park operational.
- There are two sprinklers that do not work as the line is cracked under the cement pad.
- Shanice Halwa would like to paint the spray park with fun bright cartoon pictures.
Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
- Advised that the Wembley and District AG Society will be having all the flooring in the dressing rooms and surrounding area replaced this summer.
- Noted that he does not see or hear much advertising for the museum.
- Suggested we invite a museum representative to a meeting for an update.
- Asked for clarification as to which playgrounds are being removed from Sunset Park.
- CAO Parker advised that only the old wooden structure is being removedand replaced.
- Attended the West County Traffic Safety Coalition meeting on June 15, 2017.
- June 16, 2017 met with representatives from Hythe, Beaverlodge, County of Grande Prairie and the City of Grande Prairie regarding Electoral Boundaries.
- June 20, 2017 – attended the bike rodeo, there were one hundred and twenty kids from Hythe, Beaverlodge and Wembley.
- Asked CAO Parker to put the line painting on access roads and the cross walks onto the next Public Works meeting agenda.
- Asked CAO Parker to follow up with who is responsible for potholes on the approach to museum.
- Advised that he attended the Wembley Library Board meeting and reviewed and addressed some of the concerns.
MOTION # 2017-0164
Moved by Councillor Holler that the meeting be adjourned at 8:24 p.m.