COUNCIL MINUTES - JULY 24, 2017
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL
of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta
held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 24th day of July, 2017.
CALL-TO- ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m.
- Councillor Holler
- Councillor McCallum
- Councillor Underwood
- CAO Lori Parker
- Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
- Regrets: Councillor Robichaud
- Councillor Johnson
- Absent: Councillor Moncrieff
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2017-0165
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the agenda be adopted with the addition of:
11.6 – Development Permit notification from the County of Grande Prairie No. 1 regarding Tenaris. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on June 26, 2017
MOTION # 2017-0166
Moved by Councillor Holler that the minutes of the regular meeting of Council held on June 26, 2017 be adopted as presented.
4.1 7:30 p.m. – Dick and Caleb Barendregt
- Dick and Caleb thanked Council for the opportunity to meet with them and discus a business opportunity and a new direction that CERTEK is taking with regards to transporting water.
- Caleb explained that Certek would like to have a deal with the Town of Wembley where they purchase our grey water and from there they will treat it, pump it and outsource it to the oilfields looking to purchase water.
- Caleb noted that one of the advantages to selling the water to CERTEK and not to the oil field directly would be that the water wouldn’t have to be trucked out and that would save the roads.
- Caleb also advised that they have state of the art detection technology on the pipeline as well as it would be physically monitored twenty four hours a day seven days a week.
- Discussion held regarding the details of the proposal.
- Dick and Caleb thanked Council for their time and excused themselves at 8:04 p.m.
MOTION # 2017-0167
Moved by Councillor Holler to recess for five min at 8:05 p.m.
MOTION # 2017-0168
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the regular meeting of Council reconvene at 8:10 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
- Discussion was held amongst Council with regards to the proposal from CERTEK.
- Discussion was tabled as Council would like to review with full council attendance as well as Public Works.
MOTION # 2017-0169
Moved by Councillor Holler that Council give CAO Lori Parker authorization to proceed with the existing negotiations and deal with Encana and give CERTEK permission to work with Encana on the project. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
5.1 Accounts Payable
MOTION # 2017-0170
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20170621 to cheque # 20170714 totaling $165,141.43 be ratified.
5.2 Revenue and Expenses and Monthly Statement for the month of June 2017.
MOTION # 2017-0171
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the Revenue and Expense and Monthly Statement for the month of June 2017 be accepted as presented.
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Janitor Employment Opportunity
- CAO Parker advised that our current janitor has resigned and that an ad has been placed on Facebook and the website to find a replacement.
- Councillor Holler noted that Tasha did a great job.
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 Request to purchase/lease Lot 9/10, Block 3, Plan 3255 – Cancelled
- CAO Parker advised that the proposal has been withdrawn.
8.2 Community Hall floor
- CAO Parker advised that Public Works has completed the ground work around the hall fixing the grade so that water will no longer pool around and run under the building.
8.3 Alberta Electoral Boundaries
- A public hearing was held on July 17, 2017 and there was no support for the proposed change to the boundaries.
MOTION # 2017-0172
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the following reports be accepted as information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.1 Wembley Fire Service June 2017 report.
- Councillor Holler asked if there is a problem with the Fire Chief having too many banked hours and CAO Parker advised that there is no issue.
9.2 Enforcement Services and Animal Control Report for June 2017.
9.3 Minutes of the Water North Coalition held on May 11, 2017.
- Councillor McCallum advised that this meeting was well attended and there was a lot of good information shared.
10.1 Peace Wapiti Public School Division re: Cannabis retail outlet concerns.
- Discussion was held regarding the recommendation by the school board to not allow cannabis retail stores within three hundred meters of any school.
- CAO Parker advised guidelines will have to be added to the land use bylaw.
10.2 FCSS Save the Date – Celebrating 50 years – October 12, 2017.
10.3 Alberta Municipal Affairs – Alberta Emergency Services Medal program.
- CAO Parker will look into Fire Chief Smith’s term of service.
10.4 George Cuff Council Orientation – November 6, 2017 in Valleyview
- CAO Parker highly recommends new council attending this orientation.
MOTION # 2017-0173
Moved by Councillor Holler that the Town order nine tickets to Council Orientation Training.
10.5 AUMA – Resolution support to explore merging AUMA and AAMDC at the fall convention.
- CAO Parker advised that she experienced a merger like the proposed back in Manitoba and it was a positive change.
10.6 Senators Contribution Award for outstanding community contribution awarded to Marilyn Grubb and Louie Burns.
10.7 Community Foundation of Northwestern Alberta Nourish the North – Sept 28, 2017.
- Accept as information.
10.8 Alberta Municipal Affairs: Designated Industrial Property Assessment.
- CAO Parker advised that the County of Grande Prairie can still do our Industrial Assessments.
- Currently there is only one.
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 Tax write off – Roll # 543500
- Tabled to next meeting.
11.2 Payroll Law 2017 – Grande Prairie – September 29, 2017.
MOTION # 2017-0174
Moved by Councillor Underwood that Finance Clerk Danielle Line take the Payroll Law Seminar.
11.3 Election Advanced Poll.
MOTION # 2017-0175
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the Town of Wembley hold an advanced poll for the upcoming election.
11.4 Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework Development – Wembley’s long term goals for regional collaboration.
- Discussion regarding what Council would like to see.
11.5 Employee request for additional hours.
MOTION # 2017-0176
Moved by Councillor Underwood that Council grant the employee request for additional hours.
11.6 Development Permit notification from the County of Grande Prairie No. 1 regarding Tenaris.
MOTION # 2017-0177
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the Council accept the notification as information and Council has no concerns or issues.
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
13. ROUND TABLE
- Landscaping at Town Hall looks good.
- WADACH moved Betty’s old barn from the greenhouse to the grounds.
- Delay on opening of Sunset Park due to back order of playground.
- Has been hearing a lot of positive feedback regarding the spray park.
CAO Lori Parker
- Reminder to all Council that expense sheets need to be submitted on time in order to process with payroll.
- If sheets are not submitted honorarium only will be paid.
- Has completed the power point presentation for the Council Candidate Information Night on August 28, 2017.
- Advised that the MSI grants have been approved for the water main valve replacement, skid steer/pressure washer, and gravel for fire yard.
Moved by Councillor Holler that further to the Motion made April 10, 2017, CAO Parker may write a letter to award the water valve replacement two year project to Aaron Halwa. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
- June 20, 2017 – Attended the State of the County Address.
- June 30, 2017 – Attended the Community Futures SPARK Grand Opening.
- July 3, 2017 – Attended the Public Hearing for the Electoral Boundaries Interim Report.
- Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework – Discussion regarding long term goals for regional collaboration.
MOTION # 2017-0179
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the meeting be adjourned at 9:38 p.m.