COUNCIL MINUTES - SEPT 11, 2017
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 11th day of September, 2017.
1. CALL-TO- ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m.
- Councillor Holler
- Councillor McCallum
- Councillor Moncrieff
- Councillor Johnson
- Councillor Underwood
- CAO Lori Parker
- Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2017-0194
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the agenda be adopted with the addition of the Wembley Fire Department Minutes dated September 7, 2017 to item number 9.2.
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on August 14, 2017
MOTION # 2017-0195
Moved by Councillor Holler that the minutes of the regular meeting of Council held on August 14, 2017 be adopted as presented.
4.1 7:30 p.m. – Susan Hunter, Phillip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum
- Susan Hunter, introduced herself as the new Executive Director for the Phillip J. Currie Museum and thanked Council for the opportunity to meet with them.
- Advised that the Museum is in the planning stages of a Volunteer Appreciation event near the end of October and will forward details as they become available.
- Discussion was held regarding the upcoming 2018 Summer Games.
- Opening Ceremonies will be held at the Museum and they are anticipating seven thousand people in attendance.
- The tone of the annual Dino Ball has changed a little for the event this year and will be less formal.
- The Museum will be holding a raffle for a new Maverick with Trailer valued at thirty thousand dollars and they would love any help the Town could offer in selling tickets.
- Reported that they had a very successful summer and once the final reports are in within the next few weeks, with visitor totals she will forward the information.
- Thanked Council again for their time noting that she is excited and looks forward to working closely with the community.
- Excused herself at 7:50 p.m.
MOTION # 2017-0196
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff to recess for five minutes at 7:51 p.m.
MOTION # 2017-0197
Moved by Councillor Holler that the regular meeting of Council reconvene at 7:58 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
5.1 Accounts Payable
MOTION # 2017-0198
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20170764 to cheque # 20170888 totaling $431,229.01 be ratified.
5.2 Revenue and Expenses and Monthly Statement for the month of August 2017.
MOTION # 2017-0199
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Revenue and Expense and Monthly Statement for the month of August 2017 be accepted as presented.
6.1 Bylaw #701 – Borrowing for Municipal Current Expenditures.
MOTION # 2017-0200
Moved by Councillor Johnson that By-law # 701 receive first reading.
MOTION # 2017-0201
Moved by Councillor Holler that By-law # 701 receive second reading.
MOTION # 2017-0202
Moved by Councillor McCallum that By-law # 701 receive all three readings at this meeting.
MOTION # 2017-0203
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that By-law # 701 receive third and final reading.
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Attended the CAO ICF meeting held on August 23, 2017.
- Provided a current and detailed list of contracted services with pricing.
7.2 Attended the Officials ICF meeting held on August 30, 2017.
7.3 Held a Candidate Informational Session on August 28, 2017.
- Five individuals attended the session.
7.4 Met with Chris Andersen and Jeremy Walker regarding additional access for Source Energy on August 22, 2017.
- Discussion regarding Source Energy purchasing a small portion of land for a new access road.
7.5 Met with Ray Zavery and Bart McAllister, Source Energy, regarding additional access on August 24, 2017.
7.6 Met with Atco Electric re: Franchise Report for 2016 on September 5, 2017.
7.7 Attended “What’s Up Wembley” on September 6, 2017.
7.8 Met with Rob Renschler, Safety Codes Manager on September 7, 2017 re: Safety Codes Agreement.
- Agreement is coming up for renewal.
8. OLD BUSINESS
MOTION # 2017-0204
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the following reports be accepted as information:
9.1 Minutes of the Public Works meeting held on September 6, 2017
- Brief discussion was held regarding the meeting on Waste Water Treatment Plant options.
9.2 Wembley Fire Department Monthly Report and Minutes.
9.3 Minutes of the Parks and Recreation Committee meeting held on August 15, 2017.
MOTION # 2017-0205
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the Town of Wembley waive the rental payment for the 2017 Demolition Derby.
9.4 County Enforcement and Animal Control reports for August 2017.
9.5 Notes from the SPPARC meeting held on August 17, 2017.
10.1 Phillip J. Currie Museum “A Night for the Museum” – September 30, 2017.
MOTION # 2017-0206
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Town of Wembley purchase ten tickets for “A Night for the Museum” in the amount of one thousand five hundred dollars.
10.2 Friends of Historical Northern Alberta Society – re: History Check App Launch.
10.3 Alberta Transportation re: Rural Public Transportation pilot projects.
- Councillor Holler will attend the next meeting.
10.4 Grande Spirit Foundation “Friends of the Grande Spirit Foundation Harvest Dinner” October 14, 2017 – Donation Request.
MOTION # 2017-0207
Moved by Councillor Holler that the Town of Wembley donate one hundred and fifty dollars to the Grande Spirit Foundation Harvest Dinner.
10.5 Helen E Taylor School – Dare to Care Program
- Council members that wish to participate are asked to notify the school directly.
10.6 Joint Recreation Master Plan
MOTION # 2017-0208
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the Council of the Town of Wembley accept the Joint Master Recreation Plan Terms of Reference as presented.
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the Council of the Town of Wembley support in principal the funding for an Administrator position for the Master Recreation Plan.
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 Set Tax Sale Date – November 27, 2017 and Reserve Bid
MOTION # 2017-0210
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the Town of Wembley set the Tax Sale Date for November 27, 2017 for Lot 14, 15 & 16 Block 7 Plan 3679CL with a reserve bid of three hundred thousand dollars and for Lot 53 Block 15 Plan 7921749 with a reserve bid of one hundred sixty thousand dollars.
11.2 County of Grande Prairie – Assessment Services Agreement
MOTION # 2017-0211
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that Council authorize the Mayor and CAO to
sign the Assessment Services Agreement.
11.3 County of Grande Prairie - FCSS Home Support Agreement
MOTION # 2017-0212
Moved by Councillor Holler that Council authorize the Mayor and CAO to sign the FCSS Home Support Agreement. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.4 Atco Gas and Atco Electric Franchise Agreement – Franchise Levy Fee.
MOTION # 2017-0213
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the franchise fee for Atco Gas and Atco Electric be left at the existing rate of six percent.
11.5 Cancel Invoice #30 in the amount of $1080.00 – Uncollectable.
- Company that was invoiced for the repair of a stop sign is no longer in operation and we were unable to roll the outstanding amount to the Tax Roll as the company did not own the building.
MOTION # 2017-0214
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Town of Wembley cancel invoice #30 due to being uncollectable.
11.6 Road Sign advertising costs for industry.
MOTION # 2017-0215
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Council approve the rental of the road sign for industry advertising at the discretion of the CAO with a rate of a fifty dollar set up fee and twenty dollars a day rental.
11.7 Council Remuneration
MOTION # 2017-0216
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the Council of the Town of Wembley set the remuneration as, effective October 16, 2017:
- Mayor Honorarium - $1000.00
- Council Honorarium - $200.00
- Special Meeting under one hour - $100.00
- Regular Council or Special Meeting - $200.00
- Committee Meeting under four hours - $150.00
- Committee Meeting over four hours - $200.00
- Mileage .52 cents per kilometer
- Breakfast - $20.00
- Lunch - $25.00
- Supper - $35.00
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
13. ROUND TABLE
- Thanked the Town for providing the Doctors that were touring the area with SPPARC, tickets to the Demolition Derby in the weekend.
- Worked closely with the parade this year it was a good day and a good turnout.
- Good job to those that organized and set up the demolition derby. Councillor McCallum
- Advised that he will be attending the Water North Coalition meeting on Thursday in Wabasca.
- Received a complaint from a citizen regarding an issue with cars parking on both sides of the road on 98 th Ave/93 rd Street as the road is very narrow and it is a dangerous situation.
- Councillor Johnson recommends placing no parking signs from the corner of 94 th Street down 98 th Ave/93 rd Street on the south side of the street in front of the green space.
- CAO Parker advised that she will look at the area with the Public Works Foreman and order the appropriate signage.
- Requested that Public Works look at the water pooling issue on the walking trail on 93 rd Street again to see if there is a solution to the problem.
CAO Lori Parker
- Advised that she will be out of the office for most of next week attending ICF, Water West and GPREP meetings.
- Reminded Council that nomination day is Monday and all nomination papers must be turned in completed and with payment between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. only.
- August 16, 2017 – met with Minister of Municipal Affairs – Shayne Anderson at the museum.
- August 16, 2017 – attended the Tide Water information session at the Museum.
- August 22, 2017 – attended the Community Development Board meeting with the Silver & Gold Seniors Club.
- Attended the candidate information session on August 28, 2017.
- August 30, 2017 – attended the ICF Elected Officials meeting.
- September 5, 2017 – met with Atco Electric re: Franchise Report.
MOTION # 2017-0217
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the meeting be adjourned at 9:06 p.m.