Council Minutes Oct 23
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 23th day of October, 2017.
1. CALL-TO- ORDER
Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 6:51 p.m.
CAO Lori Parker
Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
Regrets: Councillor Johnson
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2017-0244
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the agenda be adopted as presented.
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Organizational Meeting held on October 10, 2017
MOTION # 2017-0245
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the minutes of the Organizational Meeting
held on October 10, 2017 be adopted as presented.
3.2 Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on October 10, 2017
MOTION # 2017-0246
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the minutes of the regular meeting of
Council held on October 10, 2017 be adopted as presented.
4.1 7:30 p.m. – Jenn Doran (Bylaw 700)
CAO Parker provided Council with a brief update stating that it had been
discovered through social media that the resident has a miniature goat residing on
their property and this is in contravention of Bylaw 700 as a goat is considered
- Alex Kyle came to represent Jenn Doran at 7:17 p.m.
- Expressed to council that he has a miniature goat and wants to keep it and doesn’t see why it is a problem.
- Mayor Turnmire asked if he had looked at the Bylaw previous to buying the goat and he said no he had not.
- Resident excused himself at 7:21 p.m.
- Discussion was held regarding pros and cons of amending the Bylaw to allow miniature livestock.
MOTION # 2017-0247
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that Council deny the residents request to own a
miniature goat, in accordance with Bylaw #700. 5 IN FAVOR
5.1 Accounts Payable
MOTION # 2017-0248
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the accounts payable, as identified in
Schedule “A”, cheque # 20170998 to cheque # 20171037 totaling $196,619.35 be
ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
6.1 By-Law No. 702 – A Bylaw for the Town of Wembley, in the Province of
Alberta, for the purpose of establishing a Code of Conduct for Councillors.
MOTION # 2017-0249
Moved by Councillor McCallum that By-law # 702, a Bylaw for the Town of
Wembley, in the Province of Alberta, for the purpose of establishing a Code of
Conduct for Councillors receive first reading.
MOTION # 2017-0250
Moved by Councillor Underwood that By-law # 702 receive second reading.
MOTION # 2017-0251
Moved by Councillor McDonald that By-law # 702 receive all three readings at
this meeting. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2017-0252
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that By-law # 702 receive third and final
reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
6.2 By-Law No. 703 – A Bylaw for the Town of Wembley, in the Province of
Alberta, to provide for the establishment of a Family and Community Support
Services Advisory Board.
- Revised to amend required numbers of meetings.
MOTION # 2017-0253
Moved by Councillor McDonald that By-law # 703, a Bylaw for the Town of
Wembley, in the Province of Alberta, to provide for the establishment of a
Family and Community Support Services Advisory Board receive first reading.
MOTION # 2017-0254
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that By-law # 703 receive second reading.
MOTION # 2017-0255
Moved by Councillor Underwood that By-law # 703 receive all three readings at
this meeting. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2017-0256
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that By-law # 703 receive third and final
reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Attended the ICF Steering committee meeting held on October 5, 2017.
7.2 Attended the FCSS 50 th Anniversary Celebration held on October 12, 2017.
- Very nice evening and well attended.
8. OLD BUSINESS
MOTION # 2017-0257
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the following reports be accepted as
information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.1 Minutes of the Wembley Fire Department meeting held on October 5, 2017.
- CAO Parker pointed out how impressive the Wembley Fire Department looked in the write up in the paper listing all the departments in the area and posting pictures of all the members.
- All Wembley Fire Department members were in full uniform and caps, they looked very professional and united.
9.2 Minutes of the West County Traffic Safety Coalition meeting held on September 13, 2017.
9.3 Minutes of the Community Futures meeting held on September 14, 2017.
9.4 Minutes of the FCSS Advisory meeting held on October 19, 2017.
9.5 FCSS Directors Report and Media Release.
11. NEW BUSINESS
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
12.1 Councillor Underwood
- Attended the Wembley Elementary Parent Council Advisory Board meeting, minutes from the meeting will be forwarded to the Town when they are ready.
- Discussed the new garbage/recycling bins that are around town and how nice they look and wondered how the school might go about getting some.
- CAO Parker can forward the grant information to the school.
- Advised that the school has been having a lot of problems with vandalism, on the school and on the busses and they will be installing cameras.
- Attended a joint meeting between Wembley Elementary School and Helen E Taylor School.
- Susan Hunter from the museum was there to discuss joint projects that the schools and museum can work on together.
- December 14, 2017 both schools will be hosting a Christmas Caroling Night. It will start at Wembley Elementary School at 6:30 p.m. and end at Sunset Park with a Bon Fire.
- January 26, 2018 the school will be hosting a game night at the Museum in conjunction with literacy week.
- Update from Parks and Recreation:
- Sunset Park playground is complete and looks great and the celebration event will take place in the spring.
- Boot Camp for kids and the Learn to Skate Program are both underway.
- Attended the Regional Tourism meeting.
- Discussion was held regarding Municipalities starting to put more money towards tourism.
13. ROUND TABLE
CAO Lori Parker
- Reminder that the Intermunicipal Meeting will be held on November 30, 2017 in Sexsmith, venue details will be forwarded when they become available.
- Advised that there is an issue with speeding on 93 Ave/99 Street.
- CAO will request that Traffic Enforcement make more of a presence in the area.
- Provided Council with some more information regarding the Mosaic Project that she had mentioned previously.
- Councillor Underwood expressed that she supports this idea wholeheartedly and would like to lead the project, even just as a citizen.
- Discussion was held regarding a good location for such a project and Mayor Turnmire suggested the long brick wall on the west side of the arena.
- Asked whose responsibility it is to clean mud and debris off of the West access road.
- CAO Parker noted that it is the responsibility of the companies on that road and that Public Works Department works with them to keep the road clean.
- Noted that the Helen E Taylor School is in need of some sand for the new Octaball Pit as it is extremely muddy and asked if any Council members had any recommendations as to a good place to get some.
- Councillor McCallum recommended talking to Greg Reinitz as they are always very helpful in the community.
- Attended the FCSS meeting, the FCSS board is looking at putting a very large lit tree in Center Park.
- Provided Council with some printed articles by George Cuff.
- Attended the ICF meeting on October 12, 2017.
- Attended the FCSS 50 th Celebration dinner on October 12, 2017 and noted that the Town of Wembley was presented with a framed picture of the Town in 1952.
- Met with Sargent Gallant from the Beaverlodge RCMP Detachment and discussed the amount of crime that has been going on in Wembley.
- Sargent Gallant noted that very little is reported to the RCMP from the residents.
- Attended the SemCAMS open house regarding the midstream operations plant planned for nine kilometers south of Wembley.
- Will be attending the NuVista open house on October 25, 2017.
- Attended the Fire Department Training night on October 19, 2017.
- Advised that discussion needs to start being held regarding the 2018 Summer Games and what the Towns roll looks like.
- Noted that the final report for the Electoral Boundaries is complete and that Wembley ended up in the Grande Prairie/Wapiti Constituent.
- Attended the Fall Supper on Saturday October 21, 2017, it was a great evening however a little disappointing that there was not more representation from Town Council, the Mayor and his wife were the only ones present.
MOTION # 2017-0258
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the meeting be adjourned at 8:04 p.m.