Council Minutes Nov 27
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 27th day of November, 2017.
1. CALL-TO- ORDER
Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m.
CAO Lori Parker
Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
Regrets: Councillor Moncrieff
Late: Councillor Gundersen (7:06 p.m.)
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2017-0256
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the agenda be adopted with the deletion of the
delegation and the addition of:
- 7.3 – Tax Sale.
- 10.2 – Encana Water Injection.
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on November 14, 2017.
MOTION # 2017-0257
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the minutes of the regular meeting of
Council held on November 14, 2017 be adopted as presented.
4.1 7:30 p.m. Sgt. Dave Gallant, RCMP - CANCELLED
5.1 Accounts Payable.
MOTION # 2017-0258
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the accounts payable, as identified in
Schedule “A”, cheque # 20171123 to cheque # 20171176 totaling $256,554.81 be
ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Attended an Asset Management presentation on November 17 by Beairsto & Associates.
- CAO Parker recommends that the Council accept the presentation as information at this time.
MOTION # 2017-0259
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the Council of the Town of Wembley accept the Asset Management proposal from Beairsto & Associates as information at this time. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7.2 Participated in ICF Conference call on November 20, 2017.
- CAO Parker advised that the ICF meeting that was scheduled for December 1, 2017 has been cancelled.
7.3 Tax Sale
- CAO Parker advised that she held the scheduled tax sale on the residential property and no one attended therefor the property became the Town’s through Municipal Acquisition.
- CAO Parker advised that the commercial property that was also scheduled for tax sale has had payment arrangements made on the outstanding tax balance.
8. OLD BUSINESS
MOTION # 2017-0260
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the following reports be accepted as
information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.1 Minutes of the Water West Steering Committee meeting held on November 8, 2017.
9.2 Minutes of the Community Futures Grande Prairie & Region meeting held on October 12, 2017.
CAO Parker advised that Holly Sorgen from Community Futures will be a delegation at the next regular meeting of Council.
9.3 Minutes of the Parks and Recreation Committee meeting held on November 15, 2017.
10.1 County of Grande Prairie Land Use Bylaw Textural Amendment.
MOTION # 2017-0261
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Council of the Town of Wembley has no
objection to the County of Grande Prairie’s Land Use Bylaw Textural Amendment.
10.2 Encana Water Injection.
MOTION # 2017-0262
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Council of the Town of Wembley has no objection to Encana’s proposed Water Injection Disposal Facility.
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 Helix Engineering – 2018 Road Improvements
- CAO Parker advised that she has reviewed the suggested road improvements with the Public Works Foreman and put the repairs in order of priority.
- One hundred and fifty thousand dollars of the 2017 MSI Grant funding will be used towards the repairs with the additional funding being applied for in 2018.
MOTION # 2017-0263
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the Town of Wembley proceed with the
recommended road repairs in 2018 and authorize the CAO to apply for additional
Capital MSI funding in 2018. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.2 Alberta Community Partnership (ACP) – Application intakes open.
- CAO Parker explained that this grant is for up to two hundred and fifty thousand dollars and the intake closes on January 2, 2018.
- In discussions with Hythe and Beaverlodge about a possible regional land use bylaw.
11.3 Christmas Light Up Contest
- Judging for the annual Christmas Light Up contest will take place from December 18 – 22, 2017.
11.4 December Council meeting date.
MOTION # 2017-0264
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the Town of Wembley schedule one
regular meeting of council for the month of December on December 11, 2017.
11.5 CAO Evaluation.
- The CAO vacated the council chamber so that Council could prepare the CAO evaluation and discuss her 2018 remuneration. The CAO returned to the council chamber and the CAO evaluation was discussed with her.
MOTION # 2017-0265
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the CAO receive a two percent salary increase effective January 1, 2018. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.6 Employee remuneration for 2018.
MOTION # 2017-0266
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that all Town of Wembley employees receive a two percent increase to their wages effective January 1, 2018 with the exception of one employee as identified in Schedule “A”.
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
12.1 Councillor Underwood
- Advised that the AUMA Conference was an all-round great experience and she will have a full report for Council at the next meeting.
- Has started working with the Public Works Department on their Water Emergency Kit.
- They have started on a list that will be brought forth at the December Public Works meeting.
13. ROUND TABLE
- Has been in discussion with the Fire Chief and they are working towards a community awareness program to get house numbers onto houses in Town to help emergency responders find homes quickly.
- Attended his first meeting with the Wembley AG Society. CAO Parker
- Provided a verbal report on the AUMA Conference.
- Advised that MSI funding will be discontinued in 2019.
- Reminded Council that she will be out of the office December 5-8 to attend the AEMA Conference.
MOTION # 2017-0267
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the meeting be adjourned at 8:42 p.m.
SCHEDULE “A” to MOTION # 2017-0266
Effective January 1, 2018 all Town of Wembley employees shall receive a two percent wage increase with the exception of the following: Fire Chief Matthew Smith’s salary shall increase to $95,000.00 per year.