Council Minutes Dec 11
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 11th day of December, 2017.
1. CALL-TO- ORDER
Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m.
- Councillor Johnson
- Councillor Moncrieff
- Councillor McDonald
- Councillor Gundersen
- CAO Lori Parker
- Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
- Regrets: Councillor Underwood
- Councillor McCallum
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2017-0268
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the agenda be adopted with the addition of:
- 5.3 – Accounts Payable.
- 11.3 – Write off Utility Account # 100500 – in the amount of $289.62.
- 11.4 – Regional Handibus Feasibility Study Award.
- 11.5 – APC Application
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on November 27, 2017.
MOTION # 2017-0269
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the minutes of the regular meeting of Council held on November 27, 2017 be adopted as presented.
4.1 7:30 p.m. – Holly Sorgen, Community Futures
- Holly introduced herself and thanked Council for the opportunity to provide them with an overview and update of Community Futures.
- Holly reviewed her power point presentation outlining the history of, roll of and future of Community Futures in Grande Prairie and area.
- Holly thanked Council for their time and excused herself at 7:56 p.m.
4.2 8:00 p.m. – Sgt. Dave Gallant, RCMP
- Sgt. Gallant thanked Council for the invitation to meet and discuss current RCMP issues in Wembley.
- Advised that criminal code files in Wembley are at a four-year low, however it could have to do with people not calling in and reporting all the crime.
- Beaverlodge is now a stand-alone department with an almost full complement of staff.
- Discussion was held regarding a few concerns that Council has with particular situations in Wembley.
- Sgt. Gallant thanked Council for their time and excused himself at 8:50 p.m.
5.1 Revenue and Expenses and Monthly Statement for November 2017.
MOTION # 2017-0270
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the Revenue and Expense and Monthly Statement for the month of November 2017 be accepted as presented.
5.2 Interim Operating Budget
MOTION # 2017-0271
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the Council of the Town of Wembley approved the Interim Operating Budget as presented.
5.3 Accounts Payable.
MOTION # 2017-0272
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20171177 to cheque # 20171250 totaling $264,363.63 be ratified.
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Attended an ICF meeting with County Staff on November 30, 2017.
7.2 Attended the Intermunicipal Meeting held on November 30, 2017.
- CAO Parker provided Council with information regarding the new Hospital.
7.3 Attended the Grande Spirit Foundation meeting on December 1, 2017.
7.4 Attended the AEMA Summit held on December 5 – 6, 2017.
- CAO Parker provided Council with a brief report on the conference, noting that it was well worth attending.
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 Source Energy Services Access Road
- Discussion was held regarding the proposed access road from Source Energy Services.
- General consensus amongst Council with regards to the proposal, with final decision being considered after recommendations from engineers.
MOTION # 2017-0273
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the following reports be accepted as information:
9.1 Minutes of the FCSS Advisory Board meeting held on November 21, 2017 and FCSSAA Conference report.
9.2 County Enforcement and Animal Control reports for November 2017.
9.3 Minutes of the Peace Library System Board meeting held on November 25, 2017.
9.4 Meeting notes from the Joint Recreation Master Plan held on September 7, 2017.
10.1 Invitation to attend the Grande Prairie-Wapiti Constituency Open House being held on Wednesday, December 20, 2017.
10.2 Invitation to attend the Helen E. Taylor School Annual Christmas Dinner on December 22, 2017.
10.3 Invitation to attend Pinnacle Picker Services’ Open House held on December 13, 2017.
10.4 Alberta Health re: Community Water Fluoridation.
- Discussion was held regarding fluoridation of water supply to residents.
- Recommendations were made to consult the community for input on the topic at What’s Up Wembley.
- Discussion tabled to next regular meeting of Council.
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 Set meeting date with Aquatera.
- Meeting date with Aquatera set for January 10, 2017 at 7:00 p.m.
11.2 Set meeting date with County of Grande Prairie Council.
- Meeting date set with County of Grande Prairie to start ICF discussions, for January 15, 2017 at 7:00 p.m.
11.3 Write off utility account #100500 in the amount of $289.62.
MOTION # 2017-0274
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the Council of the Town of Wembley write off utility account # 100500 in the amount of $289.62 due to being uncollectable.
11.4 Regional Handibus Feasibility Study Award.
MOTION # 2017-0275
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Watt Consulting be awarded the contract for the Regional Handibus Feasibility Study in the amount of sixty thousand eight hundred and thirty.
11.5 APC Application.
MOTION # 2017-0276
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the Council of the Town of Wembley participate in the APC Grant Application for a Regional Safety Plan with the Village of Hythe as the lead municipality.
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
13. ROUND TABLE
- Reminder that this is the meeting regular meeting of Council for 2017.
- Attended his first AG Society meeting and is looking forward to working with the board.
- Busy month at Fire Department.
- Winter Gala was a ton of fun.
- Fire Department Christmas Party was great, twenty-five members on the department worked a total of six thousand hours in 2017.
- Nathan Hooey was awarded Fire Fighter of the year with three hundred seventy-five volunteer hours.
- Andy Pretzel was recognized for one thousand volunteer hours.
- Attended first Library meeting.
- Participated in FCSS Sleigh Bell Brunch and the Light the Night Tree light up.
- Winter Gala was awesome.
- Advised that the Hospital information that was provided to Council can be shared with the public.
MOTION # 2017-0277
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the meeting be adjourned at 9:25 p.m.