COUNCIL MINUTES JAN 8
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 8th day of January 2018.
1. CALL-TO- ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
CAO Lori Parker
Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
Regrets: Councillor Moncrieff
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2018-0001
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the agenda be adopted as presented.
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on December 11, 2017.
MOTION # 2018-0002
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the minutes of the regular meeting of Council held on December 11, 2017 be adopted as presented.
- 7:30 p.m. – Tanya Skinner, Wembley and District Agricultural Society
- Thanked council for the continuous financial support
- Provided an update on the society
- Requested that the utility bill for the month of November be reviewed as the consumption rate was extremely high.
- 8:00 p.m. – Mayor Bill Given and CAO Robert Nicolay
- Thanked council for participating in the pre-work towards the Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework (ICF).
- Presented information on ICF’s and Intermunicipal Development Plans (IDP)
- Under the modernized MGA municipalities with a bordering municipality must develop an ICF and an IDP. A municipality may develop and ICF and an IDP with a non-bordering municipality.
- An ICF is only complete with an IDP.
- Without a regional IDP municipalities have a limited voice regarding development within the region.
- Requested a letter of support for the Alberta Community Partnership grant application. The proposed project will evaluate the information and recommendations from the ICF pre- work final report to prepare municipalities for completion, ideally, of a regional ICF by March 2020.
- Working with the pre-work final report would expedite formal ICF deliberations, including IDP discussions.
MOTION # 2018-0003
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the Town of Wembley support the City of Grande Prairie’s application to the Alberta Community Partnership Grant Program Intermunicipal Collaboration Component to seek funding for consulting assistance towards development of a potential regional Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework and Intermunicipal Development Plan.
5.1 Accounts Payable.
MOTION # 2018-0004
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20171251 to cheque # 20171355 totaling $233,247.39 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
5.2 Monthly Statement for December 2017.
MOTION # 2018-0005
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that Monthly Statement for the month of December 2017 be accepted as presented.
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Attended the ISL Engineering Waste Water Treatment informational session on December 12, 2017.
7.2 Attend a meeting with Kim Donecz, County Enforcement, on December 13, 2017 regarding dogs running at large.
7.3 Attended an ICF Meeting on December 15, 2017.
7.4 Met with County Staff re: ICF and IDP Presentation Review for the January 15, 2018.
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 Correspondence from Alberta Health regarding their position statement on community fluoridation. The CAO advised that the town does not currently have the required equipment to fluoridate the water supply. Aquatera does fluoridate their water.
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Alberta Health position statement on community fluoridation be accepted as information as the town’s water supply will be fluoridated when the regional water line is hooked up.
MOTION # 2018-0007
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the following reports be accepted as information:
9.1 Minutes of the Public Works Committee meeting held on December 13, 2017
9.2 Minutes of the Wembley Fire Department meeting held on December 7, 2017
9.3 Wembley Fire Department 2017 year- end report
9.4 Minutes of the GPREP Planning and Coordinating meeting held on September 14, 2017
9.5 County Enforcement and Animal Control reports of the month of December 2017
9.6 Stantec - ICF Final Report
10.1 Letter received from the County of Grande Prairie No. 1 regarding partnering in a Alberta Community Partnership Grant Application.
MOTION # 2008-0008
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Town of Wembley support the County of Grande Prairie’s application to the Alberta Community Partnership Grant Program Intermunicipal Collaboration Component for assistance in developing an Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework and Intermunicipal Collaboration Bylaw as required by the Province of Alberta within the modernized Municipal Government Act.
10.2 Thank you received the FCSS Advisory Board for the support of the Community Christmas Tree.
10.3 Tidewater Midstream and Infrastructure Ltd., project update letter for the proposed pipeline 8-25- 71-7 W6M to 12-32- 71-9 W6M.
10.4 Fletcher Mudryk LLP. Re: Planning letter and Independence letter
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 Council alternate representative for the Grande Spirit Foundation Management Board. The CAO was appointed as an alternate board member at the December 11, 2017 Council meeting, however in accordance to the bylaw of the Grande Spirit Foundation only elected representative can be alternate board members.
MOTION # 2008-0009
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Councillor Underwood be appointed as the council representative to the Grande Spirit Foundation Management Board to replace CAO Parker.
11.2 Regional Safety Code Administration Agreement between the Town of Wembley and the County of Grande Prairie No. 1 was reviewed.
MOTION # 2008-0010
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the Town of Wembley renew the Regional Safety Code Administration Agreement for the term of five years being 2018 to 2023; and that the Mayor and CAO be authorized to sign the agreement on behalf of the Town of Wembley.
11.3 Peace Wapiti School Division provided advertising rates for their 2018-2020 Viewbook which was accepted as information.
11.4 MOTION # 2018-0011
Moved by Councillor Johnson to go in camera.
MOTION # 2018-0012
Moved by Councillor Johnson to reconvene the order of business.
Discussion was held on a potential legal issue.
MOTION # 2018-0013
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the CAO be authorized to pursue the necessary steps to terminate the waste collection agreement with the current provider.
11.4 A discussion was held regarding the structural integrity of the Community Hall as this is an aging building.
MOTION # 2018 -0014
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the CAO obtain a quote to have a structural engineer preform a structural assessment of the Community Hall.
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
13. ROUND TABLE
- Councillor Gundersen advised that while judging for the Christmas Light Up Contest he noted many homes do not have their civic address displayed.
- o The CAO advised that this is a concern for the Fire Department and that they are investigating a means to ensure all homes display their civic address.
- o Council instructed the CAO to review the bylaw and to insert penalties for those property owners that do not display their civic addresses.
- Councillor McCallum advise that due to working out of town that he is unable to attend the next council meeting. Councillor McCallum requested if he could electronically participate at the council meetings when he is out of town.
- o CAO Parker advised that under the MGA authorization is granted for council members to participate by electronic communications.
- Councillor Johnson advised that he will be attending the Stars Gala.
- Councillor Underwood advised that she has been working with Susan Hunter, Executive Director, of the Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum to host a games night on January 26, 2018 from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- The CAO advised that Jennifer McCallum will be working at the Town Office during the Administrative Assistants medical leave.
- Mayor Turnmire advised that the Growing the North Conference will be held on February 21 st and 22 nd .
- o Mayor Turnmire and Councillors Johnson and Underwood requested the CAO to submit a registration for them.
- o STEP program is open for applications.
- Mayor Turnmire submitted the 2017 Year Review to the Town and Country newspaper.
- o Mayor Turnmire requested the CAO to forward a copy of the article to all council members.
MOTION # 2018-0015
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the meeting be adjourned at 9:34 p.m.