COUNCIL MINUTES JAN 22
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 22 nd day of January 2018.
1. CALL-TO-ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
- Councillor Gundersen
- Councillor Johnson – Via telephone
- Councillor McCallum – Via telephone
- Councillor McDonald
- Councillor Underwood
- CAO Lori Parker
- Regrets: Councillor Moncrieff
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2018-0016
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the agenda be adopted as presented.
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on January 8, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0017
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the minutes of the regular meeting of Council held on January 8, 2018 be adopted as presented.
4.1 7:30 p.m. – Fire Chief Matt Smith Fire Chief Smith provided the 2017 year in review for council:
- Membership has grown to an all-time high of twenty-nine members.
- Eight members of the department will graduate this year.
- The fire department responded to 195 emergency calls for service.
- In 2017 the fire department members collectivity volunteered over 4500 hours in training, fire prevention activities, station duties, equipment testing and servicing, and public relations.
- The Green Light Program was discussed and will be investigated further.
- A plan is required for the replacement of Engine 611 as this unit has reached its fifteen-year life span.
- 2018 fire department priorities:
- Standard Operating Procedures
- Window replacement
- Website Upgrade
- Fire Fighters Challenge with a educational component
4.2 8:00 p.m. – Ray Zavery and Bart McCallister - Source Energy Services
- Ray advised that the dome will be completed the second week in February.
- Engineered drawings were reviewed requesting temporary access to the property off on 97 Street until a turning lane can be constructed. Discussion was held regarding the possible traffic impacts. Bart advised that there will be sufficient parking for the trucks on the property and that the trucks will not be backed up on 97 Street.
- A discussion was held regarding the additional truck traffic on Range Road 83. Bart advised that the road was graveled, and calcium was applied in the fall of 2017.
- A concern was raised regarding traffic dust on Range Road 83. The CAO requested if Source Energy Services could be proactive in controlling the dust rather than reactive. Bart advised that the road will be watered more often.
- Mayor Turnmire advised that the town would like to see Range Road 83 paved to their entrance within three to five years.
MOTION # 2018-0018
Moved by Councillor McDonald to recess for five minutes
MOTION # 2018-0019
Moved by Councillor Underwood to reconvene the order of business.
MOTION # 2018-0020
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the Council of the Town of Wembley will consider approval for Source Energy Services proposed temporary site access road providing all the necessary conditions from the town’s engineer are met.
5.1 Accounts Payable.
MOTION # 2018-0021 Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20180001 to cheque # 20180058 totaling $113,079.50 be ratified.
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Attended the Regional Handibus Feasibility Study Kick Off meeting at the City Office on January 10, 2018.
7.2 Attended the ISL Engineering IDP Start up meeting at the County Office on January 10, 2018.
7.3 Attended the meeting with Aquatera on January 10, 2018.
7.4 Attended the GPREP meeting on January 11, 2018.
7.5 Attended the meeting with Chris Andersen, Jeremy Walker and their engineers on January 15, 2018 regarding subdivision 2014-04 registration.
7.6 Attended the ICF and IDP meeting with County Council at the County on January 15, 2018.
7.7 Attended the Water West Steering Committee meeting held on January 17, 2108.
7.8 Attended the RCMP Traffic Unit meeting on January 18, 2018 regarding the Summer Games.
7.9 Attended the RCMP Traffic Unit meeting held on January 18, 2018 regarding the Summer Games. Due to poor cell phone reception Councillor Johnson disconnected from the meeting at 8:15 p.m.
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 Structural Condition Assessment proposal from Spa Engineering for the Wembley Community Hall was reviewed.
MOTION # 2018-0022
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the Town of Wembley approve the proposal from Spa Engineering for a Structural Condition Assessment for the Wembley Community Hall in the amount of $9,435.00.
8.2 Information was received from ISL Engineering and Land Services regard the Wastewater Treatment Facility Upgrade Proposal. 8.3 Discussion was held regarding a Civic Address Bylaw. Numerous residences dnot display civic addresses. In the case of an emergency it is imperative that the emergency responders can locate the residence. The CAO advised that letters will be forwarded to all residents to request that their civic address is displayed on their residence.
8.4 Wembley and District Agricultural Society’s Utility Invoice for the month of November was reviewed.
MOTION # 2018-0023
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the Wembley and District Agricultural Society’s utility invoice for the month of November be decrease in the amount of $2,480.40.
MOTION # 2018-0024
Moved by Councillor Gundersen hat the following reports be accepted as information:
9.1 Minutes of the Public Works Committee meeting held on January 3, 2018.
- Council members are required to cook hotdogs on Family Day. Councillors Gunderson, Underwood and McCallum and Mayor Turnmire volunteered to cook hotdogs.
9.2 Minutes of the Wembley Fire Department meeting held on January 4, 2018.
9.3 Minutes of the GPREP Planning and Coordinating meeting held on January 11, 2018.
10.1 Information and request to meet with Council was received from Keyera Corporation. The CAO was instructed to set up a meeting.
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 The CAO advised that she will be on vacation for the February 12 th meeting of Council and if the Administrative Assistant has not returned from medical leave that this meeting may have to be cancelled or rescheduled.
11.2 Reynolds Mirth Richards & Farmer LLP will be hosting the 2018 Annual Municipal Law Seminar in Grande Prairie on February 23, 2018.
11.3 Farm Safety Centre contribution request was accepted as information.
11.4 Applications are now open to the Alberta Community Partnership (ACP), Local Land Use Planning component which provides grants to municipalities with population of up to 3,500 that are creating Municipal Development Plans for the first time.
MOTION # 2018-0025
Moved by Councillor McDonald that a grant application be submitted to ACP for assisting in the costs to develop a Municipal Development Plan for the Town of Wembley.
11.5 In Camera – Employee discussions
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that Council go in camera.
MOTION # 2018-0027
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the Council reconvene the order of business.
MOTION # 2018-0028
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the Financial Clerk’s wages be adjusted as per the attached Schedule “A” effective January 30, 2018.
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
- Councillor McCallum advised that the Parks and Recreation Department will be requiring direction from Council regarding the Sports Park Field. The CAO advised that the Parks and Recreation Director is scheduled tappear at the next meeting of Council to discuss this issue.
13. ROUND TABLE
- Councillor Underwood advised:
- “A night at the Museum Family Games Night” will be held at the Museum on January 26, 2018 to celebrate Literacy Week.
- The Public Works Department continues to do a great job on snow removal.
- Councillor Gundersen noted that Aquatera can do all the utility invoicing for the town.
- Councillor McDonald noted a parking concern on 97 th Street and 94 Avenue.
- CAO Parker provided information from Atco Electric regarding LED Lights.
- Mayor Turnmire advised that he attended the following:
- IDP kick off meeting on January 10, 2018
- Meeting with Aquatera on January 10, 2018
- Community Futures Strategic Planning on January 11, 2018
- Fossil Country Canvas at the Museum on January 12, 2018
- Meeting with Chris Andersen and Jeremy Walker on January 15, 2018 regarding the subdivision plan on the north area
- ICF and IDP meeting with County Council on January 15, 2018
- Meeting with RCMP regarding the 2018 Summer Games Opening Ceremonies traffic logistics
- Meeting with ATCO Electric on January 22, 2018 regarding LED Street Lighting
- Water West Steering Committee meeting on January 17, 2018
- West County Traffic Safety Collation meeting on January 10, 2018
- Mayor Turnmire advised that the RCMP is preforming an awareness campaign in Wembley. The RCMP will be checking to see if vehicles are locked and educating owners to ensure no valuables are left in their vehicles and that they are locked at all times.
- Mayor Turnmire provided an update on the Beaverlodge West County Regional Hospital.
MOTION # 2018-0029
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the meeting be adjourned at 10:07 p.m.