COUNCIL MINUTES FEB 26
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 26th day of February 2018
1. CALL-TO- ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:15 p.m.
- Councillor Gundersen
- Councillor McCallum – Via telephone
- Councillor Underwood
- Regrets: Councillor Moncrieff
- Councillor McDonald
- Councillor Johnson
- CAO Lori Parker
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2018-0030
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the agenda be adopted with the additions of:
- 10.6 – Seniors Tea
- 10.7 – Rural Transportation Pilot Program
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on January 22, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0031
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the minutes of the regular meeting of Council held on January 22, 2018 be adopted as presented.
4.1 7:30 p.m. – Christina Ketchum, Parks and Recreation Director.
- Christina provided Council with a brief history of the Motor Sports Field, noting that the existing five-year lease on the property with PCORA – Peace Country Odd Road Racing Association expires in 2019.
- Advised that there are five key stake holders on this property:
- Town of Wembley
- Peace Country Off Road Racing Association
- Wembley Demolition Derby
- Grande Prairie 4X4 Off Road Racing Club
- Wembley Snowmobile Club
- Parks and Recreation Board has been discussing alternative ways to manage this property without having to bring each event to council.
- In discussions the stakeholders have advised that they would like a long- term contract, with no rental charges for their own events in exchange for investment into the development of the land, with revenue options coming from one-time user event rentals, that would be approved by the stakeholder committee.
- Discussion was held regarding the Wembley Snowmobile club possibly doing ice racing on Ringling Lake.
- Christina advised that Ringling Lake is now under care and control of the Town of Wembley and not Ducks Unlimited and she will investigate further requirements for this request.
- Councillor McCallum feels that there should be more of a discussion at a Council level with regards to direction and a business plan for this area.
- Council directed Christina to write up the lease agreements with the conditions discussed by Town Council as well as the Parks and Recreation Board and the Stakeholder User Committee and then bring the recommended lease back to Council for review.
- Christina requested Council to approve the use of the land for the Grande Prairie 4X4 Off Road Racing Club to use in June 2018 for their Horses on Octane Event.
MOTION # 2018-0032
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the Council of the Town of Wembley approve the use of the Motor Sports Field by the Grande Prairie 4X4 Off Road Racing Club for their Horses on Octane event in June 2018.
- Parks and Recreation Board requests that Council approve the surplus in their 2017 budget in the amount of fourteen thousand forty-seven dollars and fifty-five cents be placed in reserve.
MOTION # 2018-0033
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the unused portion of the 2017 Parks and Recreation budget, in the amount of fourteen thousand forty-seven dollars and fifty-five cents be placed in reserve.
5.1 Accounts Payable.
MOTION # 2018-0034
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20180059 to cheque # 20180154 totaling $319,040.23 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
5.2 Revenue and Expense Statement and Monthly Statement
MOTION # 2018-0035
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Revenue and Expense and Monthly Statement for the month of January 2018 be accepted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
6.1 Bylaw #704 – Designation of Officers
Bylaw #704 – A Bylaw of the Town of Wembley in the Province of Alberta to establish positions to carry out the powers, duties and functions of designated officers.
MOTION # 2018-0036
Moved by Councillor Underwood that By-law # 704 receive first reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0037
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that By-law # 704 receive second reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0038
Moved by Councillor McCallum that By-law # 704 receive all three readings at this meeting. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0039
Moved by Councillor Underwood that By-law # 704 receive third and final reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7. CAO REPORT
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 Atco Electric – LED Street Lights
MOTION # 2018-0040
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the Mayor be authorized to sign the Atco LED Conversion Letter on behalf of the Town of Wembley accepting the LED Streetlight proposal.
MOTION # 2018-0041
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the following reports be accepted as information:
9.1 Minutes of the Parks and Recreation meeting held on January 17, 2018.
9.2 Minutes of the IDP Start Up meeting held on January 10, 2018.
9.3 Minutes of the FCSS Advisory Board Meeting held on January 23, 2018.
9.4 FCSS Director Report for the month of January 2018.
9.5 Minutes of the Wembley Fire Department meeting held on February 1, 2018.
9.6 Wembley Fire Department January 2018 Incident Summary Report.
9.7 County Enforcement and Animal Control reports for the month of January 2018.
10.1 AUMA re: Police Funding
- Council accepts as information and request this item be placed on the agenda for discussion at the next regular meeting of Council scheduled for March 12, 2018.
10.2 Alberta Recycling – Grant Program for Electronics & Paint Roundup.
Moved by Councillor Underwood that Council authorize the CAO to write the grant application for Alberta Recycling 2018-19 Municipal Electronics and Paint Roundup.
10.3 Dates for Intermunicipal Meeting
- Council available for April 5, 2018:
- Councillor Gundersen
- Councillor McCallum
- Mayor Turnmire
10.4 AUMA Advocacy on Cannabis Excise Tax
- Accepted as information.
10.5 GPRTA – request for increase funding – Councillor McCallum
- Tabled to budget deliberations.
10.6 Senior’s Tea
- Council was requested to ‘Save the Date” for the 2018 County Seniors Tea and to RSVP as soon as possible and advise of their availability either way.
10.7 Rural Transportation Pilot Program
MOTION # 2018-0043
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the Council authorize the Mayor to write a letter of support to the Rural Transportation Program on behalf of the Town of Wembley.
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 In Camera – Request for Leave of Absence
Moved by Councillor McCallum that Council go in camera.
MOTION # 2018-0045
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the Council come out of camera.
MOTION # 2018-0046
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the Council of the Town of Wembley grant Councillor Moncrieff’s request for a three month leave of absence.
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
- Advised that she will try and get the 2018 Appointments and Term of Appointment for the Library Board.
- Advised that the Parks and Recreation Board have been discussing options for branding parks.
13. ROUND TABLE
- Advised that he went on a tour of the new senior’s facility in Clairmont and it is an amazing facility.
- He is also enjoying being on the Grande Spirit Foundation Board and finds it very informative.
- Stated that Family Day was a great success.
- Noted that Family Day was very successful and a lot of fun with a great turn out.
- Was impressed with the turnout for Family Day, it was a great success.
- Advised that at the Wembley Elementary School Parent Council meeting there was discussion of the possibility of new portables and a pre- kindergarten class.
- Noted that she will be attending the Peace Library Systems Conference in Jasper as a Trustee.
- The deadline for nominations for the 17 th Annual Ministers Awards for Municipal Excellence is March 31, 2018.
- Is working with Pam Decker on updating the Silver and Gold Club’s Bylaws.
- January 30, 2018 – met with Brittany Kelsey, Events Coordinator and Community Outreach at the Museum regarding community involvement.
- February 5, 2018 – attended the information session on “Sexting”
- February 9, 2018 – read to two classes at Wembley Elementary School for Literacy Week.
- February 13, 2018 – attended launch for IDP with County.
- February 13, 2018 – attended County Council Chambers to listen to Jason Kenny A.U.P.
- February 13, 2018 - attended WASP open house.
- February 14, 2018 – met with Shaye Anderson – Minister of Municipal Affairs at Town Office.
- February 14, 2018 – met with Keyera Midstream, a new oilfield company in the area.
- February 15, 2018 – accepted a donation from Alliance Pipeline in the amount of one thousand eight hundred dollars on behalf of West County Traffic Coalition.
- February 20, 2018 – attended ICF meeting.
- February 21/22, 2018 – attended the Growing the North Conference.
- February 23, 2018 – attended the steering committee final wrap of ICF with the Town of Sexsmith and Town of Wembley.
MOTION # 2018-0047 Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the meeting be adjourned at 9:00 p.m.