COUNCIL MINUTES MAR 26
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 26th day of March 2018.
1. CALL-TO- ORDER
Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:13 p.m.
- Councillor Gundersen
- Councillor Underwood
- Councillor McDonald
- CAO Lori Parker
- Administrative Assistant Tanya Skinner
- Regrets: Councillor McCallum
- Councillor Johnson
- LOA: Councillor Moncrieff
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2018-0065 Moved by Councillor Underwood that the agenda be adopted with the addition of: 10.6 Beaverlodge Victim Services CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on March 18, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0066 Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the minutes of the regular meeting of Council held on February 26, 2018 be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
Minutes of the Special Meeting of Council held on March 19, 2018
MOTION # 2018-0067 Moved by Councillor McDonald that the minutes of the Special Meeting of Council held on March 19, 2018 be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
5.1 Accounts Payable.
MOTION # 2018-0068 Moved by Councillor Underwood that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20180216 to cheque # 20180248 totaling $142,860.31 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Attended the CAO meeting on March 13, 2018.
- Review of the Agenda for the Intermunicipal Meeting.
7.2 Attended the GPREP Meeting held on March 15, 2018.
7.3 Held interviews for the Public Works Foreman position on March 19 and March 20, 2018.
- Noted that a temporary grader operator has been hired to deal with snow removal until the end of the season.
7.4 Attended the Keyera Open House on March 20, 2018.
7.5 Attended a meeting with Remote on March 21, 2018.
- Discussion was held with representatives from Remote regarding a proposal for the company to invest into the wastewater treatment plan project.
- Remote will submit a written proposal to Council.
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 Rooms reserved for the 2018 AUMA Convention & Trade Show – Sept. 26 – Sept. 28, 2018.
- Councillor Underwood, CAO Lori Parker and Mayor Turnmire confirmed attendance for the convention.
8.2 Public Works Foreman position has been filled.
- CAO Parker advised that the new employee starts April 9, 2018.
8.3 Draft Agenda for Intermunicipal Meeting.
- Councillor Gundersen, CAO Parker and Mayor Turnmire confirmed attendance for the meeting.
8.4 NAEL Membership.
- No Council Member is able to commit to this committee at this time.
- CAO Parker will contact Council upon receipt of next meeting notification to see if anyone is available to attend.
8.5 Cost estimate for Township Road 712.
- Council asked CAO Parker to set up a meeting with CAO Bill Rogan and the Public Works Foreman for the County of Grande Prairie No. 1 to discuss the details and options for the paving of Township Road 712.
MOTION # 2018-0069 Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the following reports be accepted as information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.1 Minutes of the Public Works Department meeting held on March 15, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0070 Moved by Councillor McDonald that all Well Site Proposals be reviewed first by Fire Chief Smith and only forwarded to Council if there are any concerns that arise from his review. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.2 Minutes of the Parks and Recreation Committee meeting held on March 21, 2018.
- Discussion was held regarding the naming of the Motor Sports Field and the possibility of naming after Stacy Krahn as a memorial tribute.
MOTION # 2018-0071 Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the Council of the Town of Wembley support the naming of the Motor Sports Field in Memorial Tribute to Stacy Krahn. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
- Discussion was held regarding the idea of branding the Town with Jim Hansen’s Fraggel Rock characters as one of them named “Wembley”
- Council does not support the idea.
9.3 Minutes of the GPREP Emergency Management meeting held on September 14, 2017.
9.4 GPREP – Regional Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment Report.
MOTION # 2018-0072 Moved by Councillor Underwood that the Council accept the report as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.5 Silver & Gold Pioneer Club request for financial assistance.
- Discussion was held regarding the request from the Silver & Gold Club for an increasing the current funding of two thousand five hundred dollars to three thousand five hundred dollars.
- Request deferred to budget deliberations.
10.1 Correspondence from the CAO, Chris Parker, Town of Peace River re: Peace Air Ambulance.
10.2 Correspondence from Darren Sandbeck, Alberta Health Services re: Peace Air Ambulance.
MOTION # 2018-0073 Moved by Councillor McDonald that the Town of Wembley supports that no changes be made to Peace Air Ambulance Agreement until the judicial ruling is in. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
10.3 Letter received from Mayor Michael Muzaychka, Town of Olds re: Prevention of Quagga and Zebra Mussels.
- Council accepts as information.
10.4 Invitation to attend the South Peace Rural Community Learning Dinner being held on April 11, 2018.
10.5 Correspondence from Sgt. Dave Gallant report on unlocked vehicles.
- Discussion and review of report.
- Council requested admin to put the information gained from the report onto the website.
10.6 Beaverlodge Victim Services
- Request was received for additional funding from the Town of Wembley.
- Request deferred to budget deliberations.
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 Subdivision and Development Appeal Board
MOTION # 2018-0074 Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the CAO submit a letter of request for services for the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board from the County of Grande Prairie No.1. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
13. ROUND TABLE
- Advised that the grant for the Land Use Bylaw, Municipal Development Plan was written for fifty-seven thousand dollars and was awarded in the amount of thirty thousand dollars and that it must be completed within the next two years.
- Provided Council with one pricing quote for vinyl canvas signs for summer games.
- Advised that there will be an information session coming up on April 19, 2018 regarding Peace Wapiti School Division supplying two new portables for the schools in Wembley to accommodate a Junior Kindergarten program.
- Monday March 19, 2018 met with Alberta Health Services, Minister Hoffman.
- March 16, 2018 met with Premiere Notley.
- March 19, 20, 21, 2018 – attended the AAMDC Convention in Edmonton as a guest of the County of Grande Prairie No. 1.
- March 23, 2018 met with Cam MacKay of Tappcar – an Alberta based ride share provider.
- Advised that there will be an Open House for the Regional Handibus Feasibility Study at the Silver & Gold Club on April 10, 2018 at 11:30 a.m.
- Beaverlodge Victim Services will be hosting their annual golf tournament at Pipestone Golf Course on Friday June 15, 2018.
- March 24, 2018 attended the new exhibit opening at the Museum.
Legal Issues - In Camera
MOTION # 2018-0075 Moved by Councillor McDonald that Council move in camera at 8:50 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0076 Moved by Councillor Gundersen that Council move out of Camera at 9:10 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
Discussion regarding the Valve Replacement Contract were held in camera.
MOTION # 2018-0077 Moved by Councillor Underwood that the meeting be adjourned at 9:19 p.m.