COUNCIL MINUTES MAY 28
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 28 th day of May 2018.
Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 6:56 p.m.
CAO Lori Parker
Administrative Assistant Tanya Skinner
Regrets: Councillor Johnson
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2018-0138
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the agenda be adopted with the addition of:
11.5 – Race Against Hunger CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on May 14, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0139
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the minutes of the regular meeting of Council held on May 14, 2018 be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
4.1 7:30 p.m. – 2018 Summer Games, Christina Ketchum.
- Christina advised that Lionel Robins was supposed to join the delegation to provide details of the football portion of the 2018 Summer Games however she had not heard from him.
- Noted that the arena will be providing the space for the dressing rooms on the ice side, with the Games providing all of the pipe and drape for change room separation.
- Parks and Recreation purchased benches for the dressing rooms.
- Advised that the AG Society will be hosting a trade show on the Multi-Purpose side during the event.
- The lobby area of the arena will be used as the volunteer and break room.
- Game schedule is out and there will be two games per day played in Town and the medal ceremony will be in Grande Prairie.
- Councillor Underwood is working on the signage and banners.
- Christina excused herself at 7:55 p.m.
4.2 8:00 p.m. – Sgt. Dave Gallant
- Sgt. Gallant thanked Council for the opportunity to meet with them for the quarterly update.
- Discussed the Annual Performance Plan noting that K Division mandates some of the priorities. Municipalities priorities are then addressed.
- Discussed the importance of residents reporting all crime as the information is used for statistics and scheduling of members.
- Crime in Wembley for 2017 was down slightly.
- Reviewed the Lock It or Lose It Program and discussed the negative feedback from some residents.
- Council advised that this is a valuable and educational program and support it.
- Discussion was held regarding some issues being had around Town with some troubled kids and Council asked that one of this years priorities be the enforcement of Bylaw 634, being the Curfew Bylaw.
- Council also requested more of a presence of RCMP in the evenings and around the school grounds.
- Sgt. Gallant thanked Council for their time and excused himself at 8:20 p.m.
5.1 Accounts Payable.
MOTION # 2018-0140
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20180450 to cheque # 20180488 totaling $87,775.53 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Attended the Council and CAO Handibus Workshop on May 15, 2018.
7.2 Attended the Asset Management course on May 24 – May 25, 2018.
- Noted that an Asset Management Committee will need to be formed to develop Policies and Plans and one Council member will need to be assigned to the committee.
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 Revenue Sharing Agreement
MOTION # 2018-0141
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the Council of the Town of Wembley approve the Mayor and the CAO to sign the Revenue Sharing Agreement with the City of Grande Prairie. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
8.2 Wembley and District Agricultural Society Utility Account
- CAO Parker advised that after review of the AG Societies outstanding utility balance the information presented by Krisa Bookkeeping is incorrect.
- The amount owing is ten thousand four hundred one dollars and seventy cents.
MOTION # 2018-0142
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the penalty charges on the Wembley Ag Society utility bill be reversed, the account be made exempt from penalties and that the AG Society be given time to make payments on the outstanding balance. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0143
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the following reports be accepted as information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.1 Minutes of the Community Futures Meeting held on April 19, 2018.
10.1 Invitation to celebrate the Canada 150 Sunset Lake Park Grand Re-opening on Friday, June 22, 2018.
- CAO Parker requested that Council RSVP to Christina as soon as possible.
10.2 Municipal Leaders Caucus.
- Accept as information.
10.3 Letter from Resident – Re: Dust from Sand Plant.
- Source Energy Services is compliant with all regulations.
- CAO Parker recommends having PAZA set up an air monitor to evaluate the air quality.
10.4 Alberta Recreation & Parks Association – Awards Letter & Annual Conference & Energize Workshop.
MOTION # 2018-0144
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that Council approve the Parks and Recreation Director attending the 2018 Alberta Recreation & Parks Association Annual Conference & Energize Workshop, October 25 – 27, 2018 in Jasper. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 Set Council Meeting dates for July and August.
- Council Meeting dates: July 9, 2018 and August 27, 2018.
11.2 Set Tax Sale date.
MOTION # 2018-0145
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the Tax Sale Date be set for October 17, 2018. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.3 Soap Box Derby – August 25, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0146
Moved by Councillor Underwood that Council approve the request from the Soap Box Derby Committee to close 99 th Avenue from 97 th Street to 94 th Street on Saturday, August 25, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.4 Set date for meeting with Aquatera re: Wastewater
- CAO Parker requested that Council set a meeting date to meet with representatives from Aquatera to discuss the option of Aquatera investing in the Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- Date for meeting tentatively set for June 18, 2018.
11.5 Race Against Hunger
- CAO Parker asked if there were any Council members that would like to participate as a team or as judges for the Race for Hunger this coming weekend.
- Councillor Underwood volunteered to be a judge with Mayor Turnmire.
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
12.1 Councillor McCallum
- Advised that the new Executive Director for the Grande Prairie Regional Tourism is James Lipan.
- Delivered the Tourism Booklets into the Town Office for residents.
13. ROUND TABLE
- Thanked Council for the leave of absence and is happy to back. CAO Parker
- Welcome back Councillor Moncrieff.
- Is attending a course in Valleyview on June 15, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0147
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the meeting be adjourned at 8:38 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY