COUNCIL MINUTES JUN 25
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 25 th day of June 2018.
- Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 6:56 p.m.
- Councillor Gundersen
- Councillor Johnson
- Councillor McDonald
- Councillor Underwood
- CAO Lori Parker
- Administrative Assistant Tanya Skinner
- Regrets: Councillor Moncrieff
- Councillor McCallum
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2018-0160
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the agenda be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on June 11, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0161
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the minutes of the regular meeting of Council held on June 11, 2018 be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
4.1 7:30 p.m. – Linda Duplessis – Peace Library System
- Linda introduced herself as the Director of the Peace Library System and thanked Council for the opportunity to meet with them and provide information and an update.
- Noted that Wembley has been part of the Peace Library System since 2008.
- Explained that there are seven Library Systems in Alberta that are considered a Municipal Service with the boundaries being set by the Provincial Government and are governed by the Library Act.
- The Peace Library System encompasses 28 Municipalities and one Metis Band
- Linda reviewed services provided by the Library System, Collection, IT Services and Resources that are provided to all local Libraries.
- Reviewed funding and revenue breakdown.
- Thanked Council for the opportunity to provide an update and excused herself at 7:45 p.m.
5.1 Accounts Payable.
MOTION # 2018-0162
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20180576 to cheque # 20180624 totaling $140,612.65 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
6.1 Bylaw 603(AB)
A Bylaw of the Town of Wembley in the Province of Alberta, to amend Bylaw 603 of the
Town of Wembley.
MOTION # 2018-0163
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that Bylaw 603(AB) receive first reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
6.2 Bylaw 603(AD)
A Bylaw in the Town of Wembley in the Province of Alberta, to amend Bylaw 603 of the Town of Wembley.
MOTION # 2018-0164
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Bylaw 603(AD) receive first reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
6.3 Bylaw 707
A Bylaw in the Town of Wembley in the Province of Alberta, to establish alternate methods for advertising Statutory Notices.
MOTION # 2018-0165
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Bylaw 707 receive first reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7. CAO REPORT
7.1 Attended the GPREP meeting on June 14, 2018 – Funding Formula Recommendation.
- CAO Parker explained that the funding formula for GPREP has never changed since 2006 and GPREP has motioned for a three percent increase for the 2019 budget.
MOTION # 2018-0166
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Council of the Town of Wembley support the GPREP Funding Formula Recommendation of a three percent increase for the 2019 budget. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7.2 Attended the Municipal Affairs workshop in Valleyview on June 21, 2018.
- CAO Parker advised that there was a lot of good information with regards to the changes to the new MGA.
- New MGA requires a bylaw outlining the details and responsibilities of the Chief Administrative Officer, as the new MGA has given more authority to CAO’s.
8. OLD BUSINESS
8.1 Aquatera – Letter of Intent.
MOTION # 2018-0167
Moved by Councillor McDonald that the Town of Wembley submit a letter of intent to Aquatera regarding the Towns intent to enter into an agreement with Aquatera to turn over all wastewater infrastructure assets to Aquatera in return for Aquatera shares. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0168
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the following reports be accepted as information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.1 Grande Spirit Foundation 2017 Annual Report.
- Council accepts as information.
9.2 Minutes of the Grande Prairie Regional Tourism Association Board meeting held on May 24, 2018.
- Council accepts as information.
10.1 CSV Midstream Solutions.
- CAO Parker met with representatives from this company and they have expressed interest in wishing to invest in the community.
- Discussion was held regarding the Town streamlining some of the non-profit groups and other community groups in the area to provide industry with a list of priorities that the community needs.
10.2 A Night for the Museum – August 25, 2018.
- CAO Parker asked Council to confirm if they will be attending the event.
- Mayor Turnmire (2) and Councilor’s Johnson (1), Underwood (2) and Gundersen (2) confirmed that they would be attending.
- CAO Parker reminded Council that it is Town Policy that if the Town pays for tickets for events and Council confirms but then does not attend the cost for the tickets will be billed to the Councillor.
11. NEW BUSINESS
11.1 Policy No. A15
- CAO Parker advised that Section 216.1 of the Municipal Government Act requires a municipality to pass a Public Participation Policy.
MOTION # 2018-0169
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Council of the Town of Wembley adopt Policy No.
A15, Public Participation Policy. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.2 Request for access to water.
- CAO Parker received a request from Keneco Environment for Blackbird Energy for approximately two thousand cubes of non-potable water.
- Councillor Johnson advised that there should be no problem for them to take it from the Fire Department Dugout.
12. COUNCIL REPORTS
13. ROUND TABLE
- The mud bogs were a success and the memorial sign is up and looks great.
- The new rescue truck is in and it is a very nice unit.
- Fire Department has hired their summer student.
- Has made the arrangements and will go ahead and order the banners for the 2018 Summer Games.
- Sunset Park Grand Opening was a beautiful success with a great turn out. CAO Parker
- Reminder to Council about the meeting with the City of Grande Prairie on July 4th & 5th , 2018 regarding regional discussions.
- Mayor Turnmire confirmed that he will be attending however no other Council members are able to commit at this time.
- CAO Parker advised that the date for the Street Performers has changed to July 18 th , 2018.
- June 13, 2018 met with NuVista.
- June 19, 2018 attended the bike rodeo at Wembley Elementary School.
- June 20, 2018Participated in the Community Giving Day with Encana doing work at the Arts Cultural and Heritage Society Site.
- Twenty-six Encana employees participated in the work bee.
- Attended the Sunset Park Grand Opening.
MOTION # 2018-0170
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the meeting be adjourned at 8:30 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY