COUNCIL MINUTES OCT 25
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 25 th day of October 2018.
Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
CAO Lori Parker
Regrets: Councillor Moncrieff
Administrative Assistant Tanya Skinner
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2018-0290
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the agenda be adopted with addition of:
12.5 – RFP for Fire Truck CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Organizational meeting held on October 9, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0291
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the minutes of the Organizational meeting held on October 9, 2018 be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3.2 Minutes of the Regular Meeting of Council held on October 9, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0292
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the minutes of the regular meeting of Council held on October 9, 2018 be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3.3 Minutes of the Tax Sale held on October 17, 2018
MOTION # 2018-0293
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the minutes of the Tax Sale be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
5.1 Accounts Payable.
MOTION # 2018-0294
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule
“A”, cheque # 20181037 to cheque # 20181070 totaling $69,411.91 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
6. PUBLIC HEARING
7.1 Bylaw 714
Being a Bylaw in the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta, to regulate the
collection, removal and disposal of garbage in the Town of Wembley.
MOTION # 2018-0095
Moved by Councillor Johnson that By-law # 714 receive first reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0096
Moved by Councillor McCallum that By-law # 714 receive second reading.CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0097
Moved by Councillor Underwood that By-law # 714 receive all three readings at this
meeting. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0098
Moved by Councillor Johnson that By-law # 714 receive third and final reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
8. CAO REPORT
8.1 Attended the Wembley ICF Working group session held on October 15, 2018.
8.2 Attended the Town and County IDP Steering Committee meeting held on October 16, 2018.
8.3 Attended the Intermunicipal Government meeting on October 23, 2018.
8.4 Attended a luncheon meeting with Teresa Souliere – Aquatera on October 24, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0299
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the CAO Report be accepted as information. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9. OLD BUSINESS
9.1 Strategic Plan Framework
- Tabled to December 10, 2018 Council Meeting, to set priorities of Council and review documents.
- Next step would be to present to Public via Open House.
9.2 Legal FOIP 27(1)(a) – Tax Sale
MOTION # 2018-0300
Moved by Councillor Johnson to go in camera. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0301
Moved by Councillor Johnson to move out of camera. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
Legal consultation regarding the 2018 Tax Sale.
9.3 CN Right-of-Way
- CAO Parker advised that CN will not allow a berm however they are fine withtrees.
- CN is willing to sell the Right-of-Way for one hundred thousand dollars.
9.4 Citizens concerns re: Drainage on 99 Avenue and Dangerous Goods Parking Lot.
- Council reviewed the concerns and the engineer’s recommendations.
MOTION # 2018-0302
Moved by Councillor Johnson that there is to be no continuous culvert installed on 99 Avenue and as per the engineer’s recommendations a v-ditch with driveway culverts would be an effective solution. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
- Discussion was held regarding dangerous goods parking.
MOTION # 2018-0303
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Council of the Town of Wembley has no intention of turning the existing truck parking lot into a dangerous goods parking lot at this time. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-00304
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the following reports be accepted as information:CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
10.1 Wembley Fire Department September Incident and Training Report for the month of September 2018.
10.2 Minutes of the West County Regional Landfill meeting held on April 17, 2018.
10.3 Minutes of the IDP Steering Committee meeting held on June 25, 2018.
11.1 AUMA re: Cannabis Transition Program
MOTION # 2018-0305
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Council of the Town of Wembley authorize a letter be forwarded to MLA Wayne Drysdale advising the Town’s opposition that Municipalities with a population under 5000 will receive no financial support to offset municipal costs from the provincial government’s Municipal Cannabis TransitionProgram. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.2 HELP International – Spring 2019 Subsidized Shelterbelt Program
- Will refer to Public Works and Parks and Rec to determine how many trees to purchase.
11.3 Northern Spirit Light Show – November 13, 2018
- Tickets to be donated to AG Society for Door Prize for Halloween Dance.
12. NEW BUSINES
12.1 New Website
MOTION # 2018-0306
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the Town of Wembley proceed with the quote provided by AllNet to redesign and bring a new website on line for the Town of Wembley. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12.2 AWWOA Annual Banff Operators Seminar – March 11 to March 15, 2019.
- Council determined that there is no need for the Town to send an employee as Aquatera will be taking over the system as of January 1, 2019.
12.3 Meeting with Aquatera – October 29, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
12.4 Grande Prairie Regional Tourism Association – Trade show campaign.
MOTION # 2018-0307
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the Town of Wembley purchase a flag in the amount of one hundred thirty dollars for the Grande Prairie Regional Tourism Banner that is displayed at all trade shows. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12.5 RFP for Fire Truck
- Councillor Johnson advised that the Fire Department has established a capital committee.
- Seven Requests For Proposal were submitted to providers and six responses were received.
- Proposal number four best meets the needs of the Department.
- E-One Fire Engine – stronger, heavier truck.
- Seven hundred nine thousand dollars.
- Old Truck value – seventy five to one hundred thousand dollars.
- Price is locked in until November 15 th , 2018 and the estimated build time is three hundred sixty five days, truck is built in the USA.
- Lifespan of new truck is estimated at twenty years.
- Payment terms are unknown at this time.
- County support is unknown at this time.
- Town would have to debenture.
- Discussion tabled to November 13, 2018 meeting.
13. COUNCIL REPORTS
14. ROUND TABLE
- Excited about strategic planning and Mayham Foundation will help to set up new Community Committee.
- Regrets for November 26, 2018 Council meeting.
- Survey monkey is done for Parks & Rec.
- Received a request about using the storm drainage pond for paddle boarding and kayaking.
- Advised that she is out of the office from November 5 – 9, 2018
- Oct 15/18 – attended ICF meeting with CAO and Councillor Underwood.
- Oct 22/18 – Intermunicipal Meeting
- Oct 16/18 - Committee meeting #2 regarding IDP with County, CAO and
- Tidewater Midstream received Regulatory Approval and work has begun.
- Will be sending a newsletter that we can put on our website.
- Would like to have a Candidates Forum, will draft a letter to candidates.
- Advised that Grande Prairie has bid on the 2022 Arctic Winter Games
MOTION # 2018-0308
Moved by Councillor Underwood to support the City of Grande Prairie in its regional bid for the 2022 Arctic Winter Games. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0309
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the meeting be adjourned at 9:05 p.m.