Council Minutes Nov 26
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 26th day of November 2018.
Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m.
- CAO Lori Parker
- Councillor Gundersen
- Councillor McCallum
- Councillor Underwood
- Councillor Guimond
- Administrative Assistant Tanya Skinner
- Regrets: Councillor Johnson
- Absent: Councillor Moncrieff
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2018-0328
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the agenda be adopted with addition of:
12.5 – December Council Meeting
And the correction of:
7.1 – Bylaw number should read 715 CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Regular meeting of Council held on November 13, 2018.
MOTION # 2018-0329
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the minutes of the Regular meeting of Council held on November 13, 2018 be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
4.1 7:30 p.m. – Coree Ladwig – Rural Transportation Pilot Project
- Coree introduced Steve Harvard, Manager, Transit Services, City of Grande Prairie and thanked Council for the opportunity to provide an update of the project.
- Noted that the County of Grande Prairie received a grant for six hundred thirty nine thousand five hundred ninety three dollars from Alberta Transportation for a two year pilot program offering transit services to rural communities.
- Phase one of the project with services north to Clairmont and Sexsmith will start on December 5, 2018 and Phase two with services west to Wembley, Beaverlodge and Hythe scheduled to start in Early 2019.
- Services will be available weekdays only with a fare of five dollars one way.
- An Advisory Committee that will meet quarterly has been established with one administrative representative being assigned from each of the six partnering municipalities.
- Discussion was held regarding each Municipalities responsibilities for the program, for example bus stops, amenities, snow removal etc.
- There will be three stops in Wembley plus a stop at the Philip J. Currie Museum.
- Advised that three Motions of Council are required tonight to move forward.
- Coree thanked Council for their time and excused themselves at 7:45 p.m.
MOTION # 2018-0330
Moved by Councillor Gundersen, That the Council of the Town of Wembley approve and authorize the Mayor and CAO to sign the Regional Transit Service Agreement on behalf of the Town of Wembley. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0331
Moved by Councillor Underwood, That the Council of the Town of Wembley appoint Pamela Decker as a member to the Rural Transportation Pilot Project Advisory Committee. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0332
Moved by Councillor McCallum, That the Town of Wembley Office be designated as a location for residents to purchase Superpass cards for the Regional Transit Service. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
4.2 8:00 p.m. – Bernd Manz, Aquatera
- Bernd thanked Council for having him in to update Council.
- Noted that there are nine agreements in place that need to be approved and signed, two of which can be done this evening and the other seven being completed after the Public Hearing on December 10, 2018.
- Explained that Aquatera will be billing for and collecting all utilities for the Town of Wembley including garbage and recycling and that the revenue from garbage and recycling will be remitted to the Town.
- The cost for collection and remittance by Aquatera is three dollars and fifty five cents per utility account, but this fee will not be passed on to the residents at this time.
- January 25, 2018 is the meeting date for all Aquatera Shareholders, it will be a review of Aquatera’s history, start up, finance, governance and future planning.
- CAO Parker noted that it has been a pleasure working with Aquatera throughout the process and everyone has been very helpful.
- Bernd thanked Council for their time and excused himself at 8:05 p.m.
MOTION # 2018-0333
Moved by Councillor McCallum that Council recess for five minutes at 8:10 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0334
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that Council reconvene at 8:17 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
5.1 Accounts Payable.
MOTION # 2018-0335
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20181158 to cheque # 20181215 totaling $3,249,891.91 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
6. PUBLIC HEARING
7.1 Bylaw 715
Being a Bylaw in the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta for Water Utilities.
MOTION # 2018-0336
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that Bylaw # 715, Water Utility Bylaw receive first reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0337
Moved by Councillor Underwood that Bylaw # 715, Water Utility Bylaw receive second reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0338
Moved by Councillor McCallum that Bylaw # 715, Water Utility Bylaw receive all three
readings at this meeting. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0339
Moved by Councillor Guimond that Bylaw # 715, Water Utility Bylaw receive third and final reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
8. CAO REPORT
8.1 Attended the ICF meeting held on November 14, 2018.
8.2 Attended the meeting with Jeff Johnson, Aquatera on November 15, 2018.
8.3 Attended a meeting with Dennis Hussey, Bearisto Engineering on November 15, 2018.
- Discussed the Subdivision Development Agreement regarding Chris Andersen.
8.4 Attended the Wembley Road Improvements with Helix Engineering and Knelson Construction on November 22, 2018.
- Discussion was held regarding the road repairs and deficiencies.
- Reviewed holdbacks for deficiencies and chargebacks for repairs to the valve that was hit by the Knelson crew.
- Owner of Knelson apologized for the quality of work and assured all deficiencies would be dealt with in early spring.
- CAO Parker advised that if during snow removal the grader hits any of the valves that are sitting above ground as they were not done properly any repair charges will be billed to Knelson.
MOTION # 2018-0340
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the CAO Report be accepted as information. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9. OLD BUSINESS
9.1 Aquatera Agreements
MOTION # 2018-0341
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that Council authorize the Mayor and CAO to sign the Solid Waste Billing Services Agreement on behalf of the Town of Wembley. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2018-0342
Moved by Councillor McCallum that Council authorize the Mayor and CAO to sign the Wastewater Billing Services Agreement on behalf of the Town of Wembley. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.2 ISL Engineering Wastewater Design Basis – Draft
- CAO Parker advised that all information goes to Aquatera for review as they are lead on the project.
MOTION # 2018-0343
Moved by Councillor McCallum that Council accept as information. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.3 Policy No. PW15 – Snow Removal
- Refer back to Administration as Council would like to know an average of overtime worked for snow removal for the last three years.
MOTION # 2018-00344
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the following reports be accepted as information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
10.1 Transitional Solutions Inc., meeting summary of the meeting held on November 14, 2018, Action Log and Guiding Principals.
11.1 Grande Prairie Regional Tourism Association – GPRTA’s 12 Days of Giveaways donation request.
MOTION # 2018-0345
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the Town of Wembley donate an item valued at one hundred dollars to the GPRTA’s 12 Days of Giveaways. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.2 County Development Permit Agency Circulation – 1621707, 1, 2Pt. W-21-71-8W6.
MOTION # 2018-0346
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that Administration respond to the notification with the same concerns that were noted with the Tenaris Development regarding noise and light pollution. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12. NEW BUSINESS
12.1 MuniWare Software Support Agreement and Software License Agreement.
MOTION # 2018-0347
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the Council of the Town of Wembley authorize the CAO to sign the MuniWare Software Support Agreement and the Software License Agreement. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12.2 Public Works Meeting – December 5 th – Change of Date
MOTION # 2018-0348
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the Public Works Meeting date be changed from December 5, 2018 to December 12, 2018 at 3:00 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12.3 Light the Night – December 2, 2018
- Event goes from 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
12.4 Christmas Party
MOTION # 2018-0349
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the staff party for Christmas be held at the annual Winter Gala, hosted by the Wembley AG Society. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12.5 December Council Meeting
MOTION # 2018-0350
Moved by Councillor Guimond that the Council of the Town of Wembley meet once in December on December 10, 2018. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
13. COUNCIL REPORTS
14. ROUND TABLE
- Advised that the Office only is closed on December 24, 2018 and Public Works will be working until noon.
- Administrative Assistant Tanya Skinner
- AG Society AGM on November 19, 2018 was a great success.
- Thirty one people attended the event.
- Nine new directors and a full new executive.
- Will be attending the Council meeting on January 28, 2019 for introduction of new executive and update.
- Asked about the new fence at the building on the corner of 100 Ave. and 100 St. wondering if it is being built properly.
- Administrative Assistant Tanya Skinner advised that the property was surveyed, and proper permits were taken.
- Welcomed Councillor Guimond to the table.
- Zumba is an ongoing success.
- Commented on the amount of oilfield and industry growth that is happening around Wembley.
- Advised that the addition to Helen E Taylor is almost complete.
- Will be volunteering at the Sleigh Bell Brunch
- November 14 - attended ICF Committee meeting with Transitional Solutions.
- November 19 – Did a small video with the Transportation Pilot Program for the inaugural opening.
- November 15 – Meeting with Jeff Johnson, Councillor Johnson and CAO Parker regarding the Wastewater Treatment Plants Project and the lagoons.
- Discussion was held regarding the smell of the lagoons and Jeff noted that even with the treatment plants the lagoons will always be needed and there will likely still be an odor.
- The installation of the Wastewater Treatment Plants is being driven by Alberta Environment to bring the system up to code.
- November 24 – attended the WASP Oilfield field trip, touring industry in the area.
MOTION # 2018-0351
Moved by Councillor Guimond that the meeting be adjourned at 9:10 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY