Council Minutes Mar 25
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 25 th day of March 2019.
Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m.
- Councillor Gundersen
- Councillor McCallum
- Councillor Moncrieff
- Councillor Underwood
- Councillor Guimond
- Administrative Assistant Tanya Skinner
- Late: Councillor Johnson 7:14 p.m.
- Visitor: Noreen Zhang (New CAO)
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2019-0083
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the agenda be adopted as presented with moving item 9.4 to the end of agenda. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Regular meeting of Council held on March 11, 2019.
MOTION # 2019-0084
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the minutes of the Regular meeting of Council held on March 11, 2019 be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3.2 Minutes of the Special Meeting of Council held on March 18, 2019.
MOTION # 2019-0085
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the minutes of the Special Meeting of Council held on March 18, 2019 be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
4.1 Parks & Recreation and Wembley AG Society – Arena Study – Christina Ketchum and Eric Sundstrom.
- Christina and Eric passed out copies of the feasibility study and thanked Council for the opportunity to review it with them.
- Christina provided Council with a brief history of the building, previous renovations and the proposed expansion.
- Reviewed the feasibility study outlining deficiencies within the building that need to be addressed in the very near future.
- One of the biggest issues outlined in the deficiencies is the “fire wall” separating the arena from the multipurpose area (which was changed in the renovations done in 2009) is not to code, thus requiring a new wall or a sprinkler system.
- Question was raised regarding the life span of the building, Christina advised the County was looking into it.
- Eric advised that the AG Society recently got a grant form the County of Grande Prairie in the amount of eighty thousand two hundred and seventy dollars for energy efficient upgrades.
- Thanked Council for their time and excused themselves at 8:05 p.m.
5.1 Accounts Payable.
MOTION # 2019-0086
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule “A”, cheque # 20190208 to cheque # 20190278 totaling $2,474,2112.89 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
6. PUBLIC HEARING
6.1 8:00 p.m. – Bylaw 603(AF) (Secondary Suite)
MOTION # 2019-0087
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that a Public Hearing be held to hear comments regarding the amendment to the Land Use Bylaw #603. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
The Public Hearing Commenced at 8:07 p.m.
Acting CAO Skinner advised that there are no applications in favor of or opposed to the proposed amendments to Bylaw #603. Bylaw 603(AF) was given first reading on February 25, 2019. In accordance to Section 606(1) of the MGA, Notice of the Public Hearing was advertised as per the Advertising Bylaw.
There were no general comments or presentations from the public.
MOTION # 2019-0088
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the Public Hearing be adjourned at 8:26 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7.1 Bylaw #603(AF) – Secondary Suites
Bylaw #603(AF) – A Bylaw of the Town of Wembley in the Province of Alberta for the purpose of amending Land use Bylaw #603
MOTION # 2019-0089
Moved by Councillor Underwood that Bylaw #603(AF) being a Bylaw of the Town of Wembley in the Province of Alberta for the purpose of amending Land Use Bylaw #603 receive second reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2019-0090
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Bylaw #603(AF) receive third and final reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
8. CAO REPORT
8.1 Will be attending the Development Appeal Hearing on Tuesday March 26, 2019 in County Chambers at 900 a.m.
8.2 Email from Brad at Town & Country Re: Climate Leadership Plan – Direction form Council.
- Will advise that once the new CAO has started she will look into this.
8.3 News Release regarding new CAO.
8.4 Lift Station #1 Update.
- Advised that Aquatera dealt with the situation and provided a copy of the compliance letter.
8.5 Alberta Transportation – Funding Update, Wastewater Membrane Bioreactor Containers Project & West Corridor Water Transmission Line Phase 1.
MOTION # 2019-0091
Moved by Councillor Guimond that the CAO Report be accepted as information. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9. OLD BUSINESS
9.1 Inter-Municipal Meetings – Terms of Reference
- Accept as information.
9.2 County of Grande Prairie – Memorandum of Agreement – Road Maintenance responsibilities for Township Road 712 from Rg. Rd. 82 to Rg. Rd. 83.
MOTION # 2019-0092
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that Council authorize the Mayor to sign the memorandum of Agreement between the County of Grande Prairie No.1 and the Town of Wembley for the exchange of Road Maintenance Responsibilities for Township Road 712 between Rg. Rd. 82 to Rg. Rd. 83. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.3 Replacement Land Lease, SAP #3046917, Canadian National Railway Company and the Town of Wembley.
MOTION # 2019-0093
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Council authorize the Mayor and CAO sign the Replacement Land Lease, SAP #3046917, Canadian National Railway Company and the Town of Wembley. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.4 Review of CAO Contract – FOIP 24(1)(a)(i) – Closed Session
- Moved to end of Agenda
MOTION # 2019-0094
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the following reports be accepted as information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
10.1 Minutes of the FCSS Advisory Board Meeting held on March 19, 2019 and the Directors Report for March 2019.
- Mayor Turnmire advised that the Healthy Communities Grant for twenty thousand dollars over three years has been approved and Alberta Health Services will have a support person working with the communities.
10.2 Minutes of the Wembley Fire Department General Meeting held on March 7, 2019.
10.3 Highlights of the Peace Library System Board meeting held on March 16, 2019.
11.1 What’s Up Wembley – April 3, 2019
- Councillor Moncrieff advised that he will attend.
11.2 Email from Hailey Gish regarding Municipal Climate Change Action Centre (MCCAC) funding opportunities.
- Accept as information and forward to the AG Society.
11.3 Email – AUMA re: Strong Communities Build Alberta: Launch of the AUMA Provincial Election Campaign.
11.4 Agenda for Aquatera Shareholders Dinner and Special Meeting – March 26, 2019 @ 5:00 p.m.
11.5 Veterans Memorial Garden
MOTION # 2019-0095
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff to table this information to the next regular meeting of Council. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12. NEW BUSINESS
12.1 Volunteer Appreciation Nominations
MOTION # 2019-0096
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Dwayne Heck receive the Volunteer Appreciation Award for 2018. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12.2 Wembley Fire Department – Addition to Level of Service
MOTION # 2019-0097
Moved by Councillor Gundersen that the Council of the Town of Wembley authorize the Wembley Fire Department to add Water Rescue to their level of service. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9.4 Review of CAO contract.
MOTION # 2019-0098
Moved by Councillor Guimond that Council move into Closed Session. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2019-0099
Moved by Councillor Underwood that Council move out of Closed Session. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
- Review and discussion of the CAO Contract.
MOTION # 2019-0100
Moved by Councillor Johnson that the Council of the Town of Wembley present the CAO Employment Contract as prepared by TSI Services. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
13. COUNCIL REPORTS
14. ROUND TABLE
- March has been a very busy month with Council duties.
- If anyone sees posts on Facebook about her having chickens, it is a hatching program that the Library is doing, and they are not staying with her.
- Advised that she met with the gentleman that has signed a rental lease at the new strip mall to open a pharmacy in Wembley.
- Noted that he is considering space for a Doctor’s Office.
- Advised that it has been brought to the attention of administration that some members of the Public Works department only have a GDL Class 5 license.
- As per policy administration would like to request drivers abstracts from all Public Works employees.
MOTION # 2019-0101
Moved by Councillor Johnson that Council direct administration to request drivers abstracts from all Public Works employees within fifteen days. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
- Advised that topics for the Intermunicipal Meeting will cover Hwy. 43 X and interchange, both Beaverlodge and Grande Prairie new hospitals and MSI Funding.
- Lori’s farewell was good.
- Advised that he has been in meeting with the new CAO and that she has been actively attending things with him.
- Next SPARK Meeting is March 28, 2019 in Sexsmith.
MOTION # 2019-0102
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the meeting be adjourned at 10.09 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY