Council Minutes May 27
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta held in the Wembley Municipal Office this 27th day of May 2019.
Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
- CAO Noreen Zhang
- Councillor Gundersen
- Councillor Underwood
- Councillor Guimond
- Councillor McCallum
Regrets: Councillor Johnson
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2019-0160
Moved by Councillor McCallum that the agenda be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
3.1 Minutes of the Regular meeting of Council held on May 13, 2019.
MOTION # 2019-0161
Moved by Councillor Underwood that the minutes of the Regular meeting of Council held on May 13, 2019 be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
4.1 7:30 Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP)Kelly McTaggart
- Represents Large and small producer member companies
- Members explore for, develop and produce natural gas, natural gas liquids, crude oil, and oil sands throughout Canada
- Produce about 80 per cent of Canada’s natural gas and crude oil
- Associate members provide a wide range of services that support the upstream crude oil and natural gas industry
- o Pipeline capacity out of Western Canada id FULL
- o Rail is picking up some slack
- o Increase differential for Western Canadian oil (i.e. lower price)
Remaining Proposed Projects All Face Challenges:
- o Enbridge Line 3
- o Keystone XL
- o Trans Mountain Expansion
4.2 8:00 Encana Services Company Ltd (Patsy Vik, Lead Community Relations) Jason
- Would like Public Notice posted on Town Website and Facebook.
- In April 2018, they announced a midstream agreement with Keyera Corp. in our Pipestone operating area, west of Grande Prairie.
- Reducing their Impact through Operational Efficiencies and Innovation
- o Reduced Cycle Times Lighting Consideration
- o Road Monitors Traffic Management
- o Spring clean-ups Noise Mitigation Efforts
- o Dust suppression Working with close residents
- o Road Pullout Traffic Management
- Water Management, proper water usages, monitoring and planning.
- Trying to hire locally.
- Investing in Communities.
- Revitalizing the Encana Travelling Trades Program.
- Celebrating PARDS and Encana’s 20 th Birthday.
- Wembley & District Agricultural Society Zamboni.
- Race Against Hunger Launches without a Hitch
- LaGlace School Music Room
5.1 Budget Summary
6. PUBLIC HEARING
7.1 Bylaw 722-Water and Wastewater A Bylaw regulating and providing for the terms, conditions, rates and charges for the supply and use of the Water and Wastewater Utilities provided by Aquatera Utilities Inc. in the Town of Wembley.
MOTION # 2019-0162
Moved by Councillor Gunderson that Bylaw # 722 being a Bylaw of the Town Of Wembley in the Province of Alberta for the purpose of regulating Water and Wastewater Utilities. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2019-0163
Moved by Councillor Underwood that Bylaw # 722 receive second reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2019-0164
Moved by Councillor Guimond that Bylaw # 722 receive all three readings. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2019-0165
Moved by Councillor McCallum that Bylaw # 722 receive third and final reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
8. CAO REPORT
8.1 Attended the training session for Disaster Recovery Plan Training
- Attended training with Finance Clerk and Interim Public Works Foreman, this training was put on by Alberta Emergency.
8.2 Participated as Director of Emergency Management (DEM) Assisted at the Emergency Operations Centre for GPREP on Sunday and had hands on experience on what is going on regarding the High level evacuees.
8.3 Wembley Water – Groundbreaking Event
- Attended the ceremony that was attended by Wayne Drysdale, Alberta Finance Minister, Travis Toews, MP Chris Warkentin, County CAO and Councillors and Reeve Beaupre, City of Grande Prairie Councillors.
8.4 Update on Fire Chief
- Fire Chief Smith was able to gather preliminary information on getting hiscertification.
- It could take at least 2 years and lots of funds to get fully certified.
- Council would like to know benefits to town and overall cost for fire chief to complete designation.
MOTION # 2019-0166
Moved by Councillor Gunderson that the CAO Report be accepted as information. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
9. OLD BUSINESS
9.1 Update on unsightly property – Sgt. Kim Donecz (not present)
- On agenda for next Council meeting as a delegation.
10.1 WASP April Meeting Notes & May Meeting Agenda.
10.2 Parks & Rec Meeting Minutes April 17 th and May 15 th .
MOTION # 2019-0167
Moved by Councillor Underwood to accept the reports as information: CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.1 Wembley Ag Society – Annual Golf Tournament request for Sponsorship Held on June 21, 2019
MOTION # 2019-0168
Moved by Councillor McCallum to support the event by sponsoring a Tee Box in the amount of $150. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
11.2 Celebration of Excellence Award - Beaverlodge High School
MOTION # 2019-0169
Moved by Councillor Underwood to approve scholarship application. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
12. NEW BUSINESS
12.1 Stacy Krahn Memorial Sports Park.
MOTION # 2019-0170
Moved by Councillor McCallum that Council Table this until we have more information Regarding existing Bylaw agreement. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
Council to direct Administration to develop a lease agreement with Peace Country Off-Road Racing Association for Council approval.
13. COUNCIL REPORTS
14. ROUND TABLE
- Attended Touch a Truck
- Councillor Gunderson said Martina did an amazing job.
- Pharmacy/Clinic is still planning to go ahead
MOTION # 2019-0171
Moved by Councillor Gunderson that the meeting be adjourned at 9:32 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY