Council Minutes - July 13, 2015
MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING OF COUNCIL
of the Town of Wembley, in the Province of Alberta
held in the Wembley Municipal Office
this 13th day of July, 2015.
1. CALL-TO-ORDER Mayor Turnmire called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m.
CAO Lori Parker
Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux
Regrets: Councillor Robichaud
L.O.A: Councillor Anaka
Absent: Councillor Johnson
2. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
MOTION # 2015-0169
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the agenda be adopted as presented. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
3. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
MOTION # 2015-0170
Moved by Councillor Holler that the minutes of the regular meeting held on June 22, 2015 be adopted as presented.
4.1 Adel Carew – newterra
- Adel Carew – Operations Manager Western Canada, opened his presentation with introduction of himself, his coworker and colleagues, Brian Brick and Paul Rea of Performance Vac & Tank Services.
- Adel reviewed in detail the design, construction, set up and operations of the Potable Water Treatment Plants purchased by the Town.
- Adel then presented and reviewed the similar type system that newterra offers for Wastewater Treatment.
- Details of this presentation and the Potable Water Treatment Plant as well as the Wastewater Treatment System are attached.
- Discussion was held regarding Performance Vac & Tank Services roll in the purchase of the system, outlining that they already have solid dealings with many oil field companies for the delivery of treated wastewater water for fracing. The Towns options for Revenue generation through the resale of treated wastewater were discussed.
MOTION # 2015-0171
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff to take a ten minute recess starting at 8:10 p.m. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2015-0172
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff to reconvene the regular meeting of Council at 8:19 p.m.
- Discussion was held regarding the presentation of the Potable Water Treatment Plants and the options for a Wastewater Treatment System.
MOTION # 2015-0173
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the Town of Wembley enter into further discussions with newterra and Performance Tank & Vac Services, to explore the options for a Wastewater Treatment System.
5.1 MOTION # 2015-0174
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the accounts payable, as identified in Schedule "A", cheque number 20150599 – 20150686 in the amount of $148,791.79 be ratified. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
5.2 MOTION # 2015-0175
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the Revenue/Expense Statement and Monthly Statement be accepted as presented.
By-Law #690 – Subdivision and Development Appeal Board
CAO Parker advised that a minor housekeeping issue have been addressed with regards to the changing the number of members that sit on the board from three to five and changing the definition of who may sit on the board to read anyone that has an interest in the municipality.
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that By-law # 690 receive first reading.
MOTION # 2015-0177
Moved by Councillor Holler that By-law # 690 receive second reading.
MOTION # 2015-0178
Moved by Councillor Jones that By-law # 690 receive all three readings at this meeting. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
MOTION # 2015-0179
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that By-law # 690 receive third and final reading. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
7.0 CAO REPORT
7.1 AUMA Convention – Sept 23rd to Sept. 25th, 2015
- CAO Parker advised that rooms have been booked at the Delta Hotel. CAO Parker has requested that any of the Council members that are attending please have details of their registration back to Administration by the end of July so that we can qualify for the early bird rate.
7.2 Fire contract negotiations with the County of Grande Prairie No. 1 were held on June 30, 2015.
- CAO Parker advised that the current contract expires at the end of 2015 and new contract negotiations have started.
MOTION # 2015-0180
Moved by Councillor Jones that the following reports be accepted as information. CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY
8.1 Minutes of the Public Works Committee meeting held on July 7, 2015.
MOTION # 2015-0181
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff that the Public Works Forman make the necessary arrangements to go ahead with the removal of sediment and the cleaning of the reservoir.
Discussion was held regarding the flag poles. CAO Parker advised that the poles have been received, and are on the work schedule. Public Works staff are busy dealing with water and other issues.
8.2 Minutes of the FCSS Advisory Board Meeting held on June 18, 2015.
8.3 Draft minutes of the Northern Alberta Water and Wastewater Stakeholders Group held on June 12, 2015.
8.4 County Enforcement and Animal Control Services for the month of June 2015.
8.5 Draft minutes of the West Grande Prairie County Regional Landfill meeting held on June17, 2015.
- CAO Parker advised that they are currently in contract negotiations.
8.6 Meetings of the GPREP Planning and Coordinating meeting held on June 18, 2015.
- CAO Parker noted that she was Chair of this meeting and there was an in depth discussion regarding AEA system and that GPREP will make alerts for Municipalities.
8.7 Notes from the South Peach Physicians Attraction and Retention Committee held on June 17, 2015.
9.1 Town of Beaverlodge re: Beaverlodge Health Complex Facility.
9.2 Terado Gas Storage Corp. – Notification of proposed Sweet Gas Pipeline – accepted as information.
9.3 Town of Slave Lake – Request for sponsorship.
- Discussion regarding request. Council will accept as information.
10. NEW BUSINESS
10.1 Combining the Water Committee into the Public Works Committee.
MOTION # 2015-0182
Moved by Councillor Jones that the Water Committee and the Public Works Committee be amalgamated to more effectively deal with ongoing water issues.
10.2 Subdivision and Development Appeal Board Training
- CAO Parker advised that with the upcoming appeal she has been able to arrange an evening with Dave McRae from ISL Engineering to do Appeal Board Training.
MOTION # 2015-0183
Moved by Councillor Moncrieff to approve the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board Training, scheduled for July 15, 2015.
11. COUNCIL REPORTS
12. ROUND TABLE
- CAO Parker advised that the asphalt equipment is all in now and demonstrations and training will be commencing July 14, 2015.
- CAO Parker also advised Council of her holidays.
- Administrative Assistant Tanya Lamouroux noted, on behalf of the Wembley AG Society that they had just had the Alberta Lacrosse Provincials over the past weekend and it was a great success bring in hundreds of people from all over the Province.
- Councillor Moncrieff noted that the Canada Day Celebrations was very successful with a great turnout of people and the Fire Department is looking forward to making it an annual event.
- Councillor Jones acknowledged the success of the work bee to clean up Sunset Park Gazebo.
- Councillor Jones also noted that the Fire Department will be hosting a first annual New Year's Eve Ball at the Arena this year.
- Mayor Turnmire noted that he and members from the Wembley Seniors Housing Committee attended the Points West Independent Living Open House.
- Mayor Turnmire stated that the Canada Day celebration was a great success and kudo's to the Wembley Fire Department Volunteer Committee.
- Mayor Turnmire stated that the AG Service Board Tour will be held on July 15 & 16, 2015.
MOTION # 2015-0184
Moved by Councillor Jones that the meeting be adjourned at 9:05 p.m.