BY-LAW NO. 714
THE GARBAGE BYLAW
BEING A BYLAW OF THE TOWN OF WEMBLEY, IN THE PROVINCE OF ALBERTA, TO REGULATE THE COLLECTION, REMOVAL, DISPOSAL OF GARBAGE IN THE TOWN OF WEMBLEY.
WHEREAS Division 1, Section 7 of the Municipal Government Act, R.S.A. 2000 cM-26, gives Council authority to pass a bylaw respecting the services provided by or on behalf of the municipality, and
WHEREAS the Council of the Town of Wembley deems it necessary to pass a bylaw for the collection and disposal of garbage, and collection of recyclables within the Town, and
NOW THEREFORE the Municipal Council of the Town of Wembley duly assembled enacts the following:
1. No person, firm or corporation shall deposit, leave, dispose, or abandon any waste material within the corporate limits of the Town of Wembley, in any location other than at designated disposal places. The Council may at their discretion employ any person or persons or may contract with any person or persons for regular pick-up or removal of garbage or refuse or recyclables within the Town of Wembley and pay the cost of this service from the general revenue of the Town.
2. Any person transporting waste material may deposit the same in the Regional Landfill Site and doing so, they should not allow any of the waste material to fall off the vehicle while transporting it to the grounds. All loads must be tarped or enclosed.
3. No hazardous waste will be picked up.
4. The owner, lessee, or tenant of a single-family residence, which is considered a household from which garbage or refuse is collected on a weekly basis, shall pay a monthly rate for such services. There will be a limit of (1) garbage cart per household. Tags for additional garbage bags will be available at the Town Office for $2.00 per bag.
5. A fee of $70.00 shall be collected prior to the household obtaining a garbage cart. Upon the collection of the fee and the delivery of the garbage cart, ownership of the cart shall transfer to the resident.
6. The Town relinquishes the ownership of the garbage carts that have been delivered to the residents prior to the passage of this bylaw. All residents that had paid the thirty-five dollars ($35.00) deposit are now the owner of the garbage cart.
7. Garbage that is not contained in the garbage cart or additional bags that do not bear a purchased tag will not be collected.
8. No garbage carts will be emptied unless garbage is contained in tied bags and the lid on the garbage cart must be closed.
a) All garbage must be at curb by 8:00 a.m. Additional garbage bags must be placed beside the garbage cart for collection. The weight of each additional bag shall not exceed 23 kgs.
b) Garbage carts should not be placed at the curb more than 12 hours before collection.
9. After collection, garbage carts must be removed from the curb or Town property by 12:00 noon the following day. Any garbage carts left at the curb after this time will be picked up and taken to the Public Works Shop. Late carts being collected the second time, and subsequently in any one year, will be subject to a penalty of $25.00 payable at the Town Office before being released to owner/renter.
10. The Town is not responsible for stolen garbage carts.
11. The Fees for service are set out in Schedule “A”.
12. Any person failing to comply with any section of this bylaw shall be guilty of an offence and liable to the Town for any expense, loss or damage occasioned to the Town by reason of such violation.
13. This By-law shall come into effect as the final passing thereof.
14. By-law No. 696 is hereby rescinded.
Read a first and second time and by unanimous consent of all Councillors present, a third and time and finally passed this 25th day of October, A.D., 2018.
Mayor Chris Turnmire CAO Lori Parker
Schedule “A” Rate Schedule
Garbage Cart $70.00
Residential per Dwelling Unit Monthly
Recycling $ 2.50
Commercial and Institutional per Unit Monthly
Recycling $ 2.50