Garbage & Recycling By-Law
BY-LAW NO. 661
THE GARBAGE & RECYCLING BYLAW
BEING A BYLAW OF THE TOWN OF WEMBLEY, IN THE PROVINCE OF ALBERTA, TO REGULATE THE COLLECTION, REMOVAL, DISPOSAL OF GARBAGE AND REFUSE, AND COLLECTION OF RECYCLABLES IN THE TOWN OF WEMBLEY.
WHEREAS Division 1, Section 7 of the Municipal Government Act, being Chapter M-26, 2000 and amendments thereto, give Council authority to pass a bylaw respecting the services provided by or on behalf of the municipality, and
WHEREAS the Council of the Town of Wembley deems it necessary to pass a bylaw for the collection and disposal of garbage, and collection of recyclables within the Town, and
NOW THEREFORE the Municipal Council of the Town of Wembley duly assembled enacts the following:
- 1. No person, firm or corporation shall deposit, leave, dispose, or abandon any waste material within the corporate limits of the Town of Wembley, in any location other than at designated disposal places. The Council may at their discretion employ any person or persons or may contract with any person or persons for regular pick-up or removal of garbage or refuse or recyclables within the Town of Wembley and pay the cost of this service from the general revenue of the Town.
- 2. Any person transporting waste material may deposit the same in the Regional Landfill Site and doing so, they should not allow any of the waste material to fall off the vehicle while transporting it to the grounds. All loads must be tarped or enclosed.
- 3. No hazardous waste will be picked up.
- 4. The owner, lessee, or tenant of a single-family residence, which is considered a household from which garbage or refuse is collected on a weekly basis, shall pay a monthly rate for such services. There will be a limit of (1) garbage cart per household. Tags for additional garbage bags will be available at the Town Office for $2.00 per bag.
- 5. Garbage that is not contained in the garbage cart or additional bags that do not bear a purchased tag will not be collected.
- 6. No garbage carts will be emptied unless garbage is contained in bags and tied.
- a) All garbage must be at curb by 8:00 a.m. Additional garbage bags must be placed beside the garbage cart for collection. The weight of each additional bag shall not exceed 23 kgs.
- b) Garbage carts should not be placed at the curb more than 12 hours before collection.
- 7. After collection, garbage carts must be removed from the curb or Town property by 12:00 noon the following day. Any garbage carts left at the curb after this time will be picked up and taken to the Public Works shop. Late carts being collected the second time, and subsequently in any one year, will be subject to a penalty of $25.00 payable at the Town Office before being released to owner/renter.
- 8. All commercial garbage will be picked up once a week for a flat monthly rate.
- 9. Curb side recycling will be picked up twice a month. Metals/plastics and mixed paper will have separate pick up dates.
- a) Items that may be recycled for curb side pickup include:
Paper - excluding cardboard;
- Newspapers and inserts, magazines, catalogues
- White writing and computer paper
- Christmas cards, no-foil gift wrap
- Junk mail, flyers, paper bags, envelopes, paper and hard cover books (remove hard cover), phone books
Metals (no loose lids, trap inside can or discard, labels removed)
- Clean tin cans (soup, juice, etc)
- Aluminum cans (beverages)
Plastics (discard caps and lids; empty and rinse)
- Only plastic bags and containers numbered with a 1, 2, 4, or 5 can be recycled. The number can be found in a recycling triangle, often on the bottom of the container.
- o Household cleaner bottles
- o Shampoo and conditioner bottles (including similar personal care products)
- o Vinegar bottles
- o Plastic bags (all types including bread and dry cleaner bags
- o Pop and beverage bottles
- o Milk jugs
- o Detergent or fabric softener bottles
- o Margarine and yogurt containers
- o Ice cream pails (remove metal handle)
- o Vitamin bottles
- o Windshield washer containers
- If the plastic item does not have a number on it or is not one of the numbers above, it should be placed in the garbage not the recycling
- 10. Recyclables placed for collection must be in clear or clear blue bags. Recyclables placed in coloured garbage bags will not be picked up.
- 11. Any person failing to comply with any section of the aforementioned bylaw shall be guilty of an offence and liable to the Town for any expense, loss or damage occasioned to the Town by reason of such violation.
- 12. This By-law shall come into effect as the final passing thereof.
- 13. By-law No. 587 is hereby rescinded.
Read a first and second time and by unanimous consent of all Councillors present, a third and time and finally passed this 26th day of April, A.D., 2010.
Mayor Owen Smith CAO Lori Parker